Purge Week - April 27th to May 5th

This will be a week where participating Areas around the space (as per the Lead’s willingness and permission!) will be trying to clean up and rid their Area of unwanted or old items that they no longer need or want.

It is a rule that no item may leave its Area without that Area’s Lead giving permission, I cannot stress this enough. None of what is done during this week will be overriding Area Storage Policy, so if you have any doubt about any of your belongings that stay in an Area, please talk to your Area Lead. If an Area Lead has not said anything about participating, then their Area will NOT be touched.

Once the items are chosen to be removed, they will all be moved into Room 2 (thank you, LaDeana) for the ability to make a bid in the usual auction fashion. However, a Lead who may want that item for their area instead may take the item off the ballot at any time, if they believe it will be beneficial to add to their Area. Otherwise, auctions will be conducted as usual and will close on Friday, May 3rd, at noon. The absolute FINAL day to pickup items will be on Sunday, May 5th, at noon. Even if an auction is won, but it is not picked up before then, the item in question will be thrown out. Room 2, as well as any other Area in MakeICT, deserves better than to become a storage unit, so let’s all come together to help make our space more usable and better kept up with.

There will be a spot in the Welcome Center where Leads can select a day or days during this week to tackle their Area. If you would like to volunteer your time to help a Lead, please communicate with them to let them know you will show up that day.

Thank you to everyone who has helped make this a reality, and I hope to see everyone who wants to participate.

~Tricia Cortes, Events Committee Lead

SideNotes:

I want to be upfront that my intention with this idea has always been for the good of MakeICT from Day 1. Its no secret that we have so much stuff that it makes it hard to find the things we need, so this is tripling as a cleaning and organizing week as well. Leads schedule their own cleaning days, but in case it has slipped through the cracks or they need another one, this can cover them. All Leads have either been asked their opinions about this week and the details in a Leads meeting and/or an email. This idea has been brought up for feedback in multiple Board meetings and workshops. I will also be putting notes on doors and this information is included in next month’s Newsletter, as well as emailed out to membership. This is the first iteration of the idea being put into action, but the details about this week in the future can be changed to benefit the space and everyone involved better.

6 Likes

Thanks for organizing this!

2 Likes

What do this mean? IE. what is the process of auctions?

1 Like

Its been referred to casually as “three nerding” but I believe its officially referred to as utilizing the “Taking Offers” form for “Property Removal”. I consulted the wiki on the Storage Policy and the Property Removal pages in planning this but also was given the go ahead and advice from the Board about the forms, and they used the term “auctioning” in reference to them so I went with that term. Sorry for the confusion!

(Edit to add for anyone wondering: Every item up for auction will have a “Taking Offers” form attached so people can make offers and the best offer by the closing of the auctions on May 3rd will determine the winner, if its not removed from auction by a Lead beforehand.)

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. Was wondering if the items would be posted on the forum or if it was an “in person” auction. Thank you for organizing this.

2 Likes

The three nerd rule is when a piece of equipment is no longer needed, three area leads and/or directors (basically 3 people who are heavily involved) agree it can go. The form allows for a silent auction style of bidding where you put your name and bid down and the next person sees it and may outbid you.

It does require you to physically visit the equipment from time to time.

Really it is so that someone doesn’t just volunteer to be an area lead “throw away” an expensive piece of equipment into their car. Then disappear forever. The jerk. I hate that fictional person. He does have a quirky but redeemable trait that I’ll let you make that part up about them.

It’s got its downfalls but then if we were perfect you would have to pay us more.

···

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024, 13:42 Tricia Cortes via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| r3mm13 Committee Lead
March 28 |

• | - |

Its been referred to casually as “three nerding” but I believe its officially referred to as utilizing the “Taking Offers” form for “Property Removal”. I consulted the wiki on the Storage Policy and the Property Removal pages in planning this but also was given the go ahead and advice from the Board about the forms, and they used the term “auctioning” in reference to them so I went with that term. Sorry for the confusion!

(Edit to add for anyone wondering: Every item up for auction will have a “Taking Offers” form attached so people can make offers and the best offer by the closing of the auctions on May 3rd will determine the winner, if its not removed from auction by a Lead beforehand.)

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| ScottS MakeICT Member
March 28 |

• | - |

What do this mean? IE. what is the process of auctions?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

That’s actually a good idea, I could post pictures here to boost visibility! But I definitely want to keep the papers in person for the sake of simplicity and so people can see the items clearly and all. Thank you for the support! :blush:

1 Like

Right!! How dare they? :rofl: i missed your humor lol. I think it will be helpful to have it all in one spot, and its a win win since some of it is just sitting there doing nothing. As long as its out by the 5th, I’ll be happy! Room 2 needs clearing out pretty badly so I’ll be excited to get it all cleaned up for computer lab shenanigans :grin:

1 Like

Per the Property Removal policy, all “three nerd rule” items must be advertised on the forum.

5 Likes

Ah, I missed that part, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I’ll be sure to do that!

1 Like

Sorry but that’s perfect timing for a purge week. I’m having my first colonoscopy on the 30th!

2 Likes

Oh man that is perfect! :rofl:

1 Like

Oof

2 Likes