Logan's EPIC Magic Wheelchair Halloween!

I’m heading over to the Makerspace right now with a whole bunch of foam and PVC pipe. If anyone is free and wants to run over to help me unload that would be really helpful.

1 Like

I can be there in about an hour. In fact if everyone is cool with it id be willing to move our meeting to maybe 2 to 4 today instead of 6 to 8.

The neighbors are doing a bbq.

I’m afraid to earlier isn’t going to work because Dominic’s
wedding is at 3.

Oh that’s right. Congrats dom!

There were a few people at the Makerspace to help me unload, so the foam and the PVC pipe are both unloaded into the metal shop Bay for the moment. Thank you.

I’l be at the space today about 10 or 1030 to work on the foam body if anyone wants to join. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wow! Did you prime it?

Not yet. We’ve got the side panels cut out and today I plan to make them as interesting and “not a box on wheels” as possible. Its going to be a lot of cutting foam today. And possibly some light sculpting.

We’re actually planning to use foam coat later. It seems like a sort of sandable, spackle, bondo type of stuff.

Paint is a while down the road yet. Feel free to come down to the space and lend a hand! I’d like to meet you anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Take pictures and send them to me. Also keep up with your hours. At next weeks meeting, I will begin by asking for hours from the previous week. We need to keep a log of our hours, for many reasons.

No this is all painted from the back side through the clear plastic.

@Malissa put me down for 4 hours today.

Here is the progress on the body. Nothing is glued yet.

The recess in the back will hold the ladder.

5 Likes

Coming up in a few weeks is Open Streets ICT. We need to plan on displaying the fire truck build in progress then. Perhaps by that time we’ll have lights, siren, and (bubble) fire snorkel attached. I can see it sitting on the sidewalk (blocked off with stanchions or something), with the emergency lights flashing and siren going off every now and then. We can also put out a collection box for donations. The date is September 23rd, 2018 From 12-5pm.

3 Likes

Weve got a little under 3 weeks. I would say I’ll probably have the body ready to sand and foam coat by that weekend. Probably not painted though.

Hopefully we can have some of the chrome parts being vacuum formed and chromed about that time too.

Is there a plan for building the light bar and dashboard/ control panel?

I’d like some input on the dimensions and aesthetics of the electronic components. I’m pretty good at making stuff work, but not so good at making it look good. I missed the last meeting, so I might not be completely up to speed. Did we decide on the details for the lights?

I was technically at the last meeting, but I only spent about 5 minutes at the table before I went to the woodshop to start cutting up the foam.

Im not entirely sure what was discussed to be completely honest.

There will be a siren, red/blue hi-intensity LED strobes, and a number of LED marker lights arriving tomorrow. They were chosen for their compact size and relatively low power consumption. I’ll bring them by when they arrive, so they should be at the space by 6 or 7 pm, and we’ll be able to determine placement and wiring requirements.

For the controls, the plan is to allow Dom some time to get with the family to determine what kind of controls that Logan will be able to use. The current plan is to have a second set of controls accessible to the person pushing the wheelchair, but that is subject to change. It all depends on what Dom determines that Logan can handle.

Like comment share #logansepicfiretruck

1 Like

Yikes that driver only has one hand on the wheel

2 Likes

Im going out of town tomorrow so I won’t be able to attend this weekend’s meeting.

I will be in next week at some point to get some more foam work done on the body.

I have interest in making a memory quilt. We will discuss ideas this evening.