Logan's EPIC Magic Wheelchair Halloween!

It is not perfect. Within 10mm ish. but here is a turret mock up. pulled from Christians picture, and the size of the prusa bed.

I donā€™t, but I can pick up the stuff at Loweā€™s today. Iā€™ll be in this afternoon with it.

Not sure, maybe 1/8". Certainly less than 1/4".

I just got a text from Emily Younger. Sheā€™s one of the Anchors at KSN/Channel 3. She thanked us for yesterdayā€™s interview, and said it would air early next week. She said sheā€™d shoot me a text as soon as they know exactly when it will air, and Iā€™ll let everyone know when I find out.

Thanks to everyone who has not only worked hard on the wheelchair build, but also those who donated and those who came in yesterday to tidy up for the interview. Weā€™ve still got some work to do, and I hope at least some can make it down to Amorita on Sunday to celebrate the big reveal with us! If you havenā€™t seen the current state of the wheelchair, timeā€™s running out! Why not come by and take a look on Final Friday? While youā€™re here, get your picture in our big Fire Truck cutout!

I have the bolts cutoff.

Thanks, Jerry!

Sorry, I missed you at the space. Thanks for cutting them. I glued all of the studs in. I painted and replaced the broken mirror mount. I made a back brace to go behind the wheelchair. Please donā€™t look at the welds. I dont tig weld aluminum much (at all since the class), but I think it will function as designed. If someone is making a list of things to take. Please add c-clamps. We will need to hand drill the mounting holes for the brace once it is positioned on the chair.

I had trouble getting the desk to fit between the side while it was standing on end. It might need to be shortened.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be in to do the basic wiring today. I used a Dremel to cut a channel for the wire, and Iā€™ll be doing the 12v and ground wires around the truck with heavier wire. I found some 10-12 gauge stranded that should work well, and it fits perfectly in the channel. I also epoxied a terminal block on the underside of the cab, close enough to the edge to leave clearance for the turret.

Thereā€™s an emergency equipment installation company in Augusta who has volunteered to provide an actual light bar small enough to fit the truck. He said heā€™d have it for us today, so weā€™re planning on that, with Tomā€™s PlexiglasĀ® version planned just in case they donā€™t come through.

As for splitting the truckā€¦Iā€™m pretty sure that two people can put the truck on Loganā€™s wheelchair as a single piece, and Iā€™ve considered holding off on splitting the truck. It would be more difficult to transport and store as a single piece. On the other hand, we could try to leave it as a single piece, and then split it later if the family needs to have something smaller to store, although it would be easier to do now than if we had to do it in the single hour of lead time we have on Sunday. We also have more convenient access to tools at the makerspace. Your thoughts?

Now that weā€™re getting down to the wire, is there ANYTHING anyone needs to finish their part of the build? If you need something, let me know as soon as possible, and I will make sure it is there for you tonight. We have from now until noon on Sunday to have everything put together and tested. If you need a hand, donā€™t be afraid to speak up. We have plenty of people we can lean on to give us a hand.

As always, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!

1 Like

Iā€™m told that the light bar for the truck will be ready for me this afternoon, and Iā€™m scheduled to pick it up in Augusta at 5. Iā€™ll bring it right over from there. Good thing it isnā€™t rush hour or anythingā€¦

1 Like

Co-working has been unloaded into the classroom, left 4 tables and 9 chairs. The Creator Showroom has mostly been moved to co-working, truck and anything on the 4 pedestals for the truck are still there . If some one could vacuum that would be great. Iā€™ll be back between 430-5 to help with set up. The mural should be here by 5-530 at the latest.

Shirts are also available in co-working if anyone wants to wear tonight. Iā€™ll be sporting mine.

Someone working there tonight should work on the wiring once there is space to stand it up for access through the bottom. I can work on it in the early morning (5-7AM) and Saturday late afternoon (3:30PM -?).

The headlights are the only thing I know of ready to wire now. Decisions yet to be made about where speaker/siren wires come through, light bar and bubble snorkel, same question.

Mike B

I did run the headlight wiring up to the terminal block.

Most of the wires that were being held in place by tape are hot glued now.

I will try to come back and see what the status is after 3:30PM.

Mike B

1 Like

Thanks, Mike!

1 Like

Donā€™t forget, folks ā€“ todayā€™s the day of the big reveal! Weā€™d like to have as many as possible join us for the reveal, which will be held at the Amorita-Byron Fire Department in Amorita, Oklahoma. Weā€™ll be taking our caravan and leaving MakeICT at 12:15 pm sharp. Iā€™ve got room for one to ride along, and Iā€™m sure there are a few others with extra seats. If youā€™d like to help with last-minute details, some of us will be at the makerspace by 11 am.

You donā€™t have to have worked on the Fire Truck to attend the reveal party. Even if you havenā€™t even seen it yet, weā€™d still like for you to come along for the party. The idea is to show Logan that lots and lots of folks care about him, and to give him a chance to be envied by other kids for once in his life!

1 Like

We had a great time at the big reveal party! Judging from his grin and squeals of delight, Iā€™d say he loved his new fire truck. Unfortunately, I was busy talking, so I wasnā€™t able to take many photos of my own. Hereā€™s the one I was able to have taken. If you took any photos at the event, could you share them? Iā€™d like to be able to send a copy to Loganā€™s grandparents and to KSN right away. Thanks!

5 Likes

Sweet ride!!

1 Like

Folder of Pics on Google Drive

Shelly, took some pictures when I was there I hope she shares with us. The above link has all my photos. Please add any you have to that. @David do you have Shellyā€™s email so we can share the picture folder with her?

Tried to look at your photos but it requires access. Not sure how to look at them.