Logan's EPIC Magic Wheelchair Halloween!

I’ll grab the acrylic on my way in this afternoon.

Front bumper and ladders are ready to paint, I wasn’t sure what color you wanted them. I’m out tonight , so let me know what I can do and I’ll try to make it happen.

Ashton will not be able to be our videographer. I will reach out to my Artist INC group and see if there’s anyone they can recommend. I will access the area Thursday night, hopefully I will have direction from the Big Read by then, and determine want needs to be done Friday to accommodate both entities at the front of the building. I will also create a Final Friday event for the Fire Truck.

@David we need another can of black gloss paint. The other can ran out and there are a few weak spots on the windshield. Tom and I were hoping you could hit it again in the morning if you make it up there so that it might be dry by tomorrow evening?

Attaching Frame.

I tested a few things in the foam. I stopped after the 5min epoxy with the bolts inserted directly into the foam. I was not able to pull the bolt out. I did try.

I drilled a set of holes in the aluminum frame. space 1.5". This should allow any placement of bolts along the length. My plan once the fire track is back in the show room we can start inserting screws. Once the screws are dry inserted into the foam. pull off the aluminum rail. Then the epoxy can be applied to each stud. we should have the rails mounted Monday night. Then I would be ok cutting the sides off. I would feel confident it would keep its alignment.

@David
all thread,

Rustin, was kind enough to cut down the all thread, in to 4 inch studs. Mike B. put a nut on all of them, and none of the threads needed to be cleaned up. That gives us 15, but I would like to have a bit more. I don’t want to spread them out too much.

Can you get another stick?

1 Like

Can do. Is one going to be enough to finish it?

Yes

Windows got another coat of gloss black, and the ladders got a coat of primer and three coats of gloss white.

2 Likes

Sure thing. One stick of 1/4-20 allthread. I’ll bring it in with me this evening.

1 Like

Here is the design for the bubble turret. If anyone has suggestions for aesthetic improvements let me know. I’ll be printing the pieces tomorrow.

2 Likes

I added a picture folder to the documents https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cOB1i3t09EuvTyVSwmrooCEPPAJQOI1g?usp=sharing

Sweet. If you need help with anything, let me know. KSN is coming by on Wednesday at 3:30, and it would be nice to at least have something mounted to show them, even if it is not yet functional. We want to be able to have the turret in place also to help locate the emergency lights.

The aluminum bars are mounted without glue for the studs. The studs need to be cut down. I gave the wrong length to @rustin.atkeisson . They need to be somewhere between 3 1/4 to 3 1/2, so they don’t stick out the back or poke through the front :sob: .

If someone would be willing to cut the remaining studs that are needed. We need around 12-15 pieces of all thread. There is a piece of 1/4-20 all thread in the gallery. They need to be between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 long. If someone else could mask off 1/2 inch with tape to keep the epoxy out of the thread that would help also.

I will be down tomorrow after work 6:30-7pm to cut studs (unless someone could do it) then start gluing them in. Then I need to glue the wood back panels. If someone would like to glue the foam to the diamond plate. and attach the foam to the wood with velcro for the gauge panels that would help also. After thinking about it a bit more it would be better to glue the foam to the diamond plate. Then velcro the foam to the wood. That would allow better access to the bolts, and wing nuts, for fixing things.

Now that the holes are drilled it could be cut. I just need to take the cut down the wood panels that are over the edge. In my defense. I could not see the back when I will holding it and drilling from the outside. The moved on me.

If you would like we can wait to cut it in half until after the TV crew looks at it. We also need to make a brace to connect the two behind the wheel chair.

Grill status
FYI, it looks like the grill is pulling away from the frount.
I have a pack of 4 1.5in screws used to attach the mirrors. You could screw the four corners down to allow any sort of adhesive to set.

I’m planning on coming by sometime in the next hour or two to see about the grille, and to cut down the allthread studs. We’ll need to nail down the exact placement of the red/blue emergency lights on top of the cab, too.

The big Magic Wheelchair reveal is scheduled for 3 pm this Sunday (Oct 28) at the Fire Station in Amorita. The build team will have access to the wheelchair for last-minute adjustments at Logan’s home, which is just a few blocks from there. I’ve asked for access to the wheelchair at 2 pm, which will give us just under an hour to do any final fitting that we need to do. I plan on bringing an install kit with tools, velcro, zip ties, wire nuts, and anything else I can think of that might be helpful at the last minute.

Anyone going with me should be at the makerspace by noon on Sunday. I have room for 1 person in my vehicle (warning - I smoke). It is about 90 miles to the site. If anyone is traveling separately, be advised that it is best to go South out of Anthony. If you follow the shortest route with Google maps, it will take you West out of Anthony, then South on a pretty choppy dirt/gravel road for several miles, which is a bit annoying.

We’d like to be able to give Logan a great surprise, and it would be nice to have as many folks as possible at the reveal to cheer him on, so please make plans to be there if you possibly can, whether you were actively building the Fire Truck or not. Just show up at the Fire Station in Amorita, Oklahoma at 3. Don’t worry, if you can find Amorita, you can find the Fire Station. The whole town has an official population of less than 50! There are a number of places to grab a bite to eat on the way or on the way back, in Anthony or Harper. Why not make a day of it?

2 Likes

I cut the all-thread for you. It is next to the truck.

thanks.

do we have enough diamond plate to make a top plate for the side seams at the cut?