FabLab-ulous collaboration with Woodshop

Hi FabLab!
The Woodshop has just purchased some files to print an improved dust chute for the miter saw, and I was hoping I could get some assistance in printing it out.
I’ll be at the space tomorrow, 11/13/23, by 5 pm to do a few things with Facilities before the Leads and Chairs Meeting, Maker Monday, and the Woodshop Workshopping.
EEK! Busy days :slight_smile:

Thanks, and Happy Making!

3 Likes

I’m more than happy to help with ANY dust collection effort! Feel free to shoot the files to me or Dave (@xrunner) and we’ll get those handled… STAT! Love cross-area solutions!

7 Likes

Fab Lab would be happy to help, but even though I’m authorized for 3d printing I still haven’t used them for anything and would need someone to help me!

1 Like

Hey XRunner… this is the best opportunity to learn… I am sure Brad would help you …

2 Likes

@xrunner you know I’m more than happy to help ya with whatever you need to be successful!

@squarenuts as you know, I got the files and they’re printing now in FabLab! #dustcollection

As soon as we verify fit, I’ll print some spare parts for future use.

3 Likes

lol - not really looking to learn. I only took the class since I’d been asked to be a lead.

Is there anyone out there that likes lasers & 3d printing that wants to be a lead?

2 Likes

@xrunner It’s with a heavy heart that I hearted your last post. But I can certainly understand.

1 Like

I’m willing to stay on for another year as long as everyone understands what I can/can’t do. There are other people that have stepped up to fill the gaps but if there’s someone else that wants to be a lead I encourage them to speak up. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ll keep an eye out for someone! In the meantime, don’t hesitate to reach out for assistance! We’ll keep that 3D Printing/FabLab Group going that @Gemma championed bringing back as a way to help!

1 Like

Two plates of spaghetti! Going to have to give the print bed a light dusting of hairspray and try again…

3 Likes

Thanks Brad!
Out of curiosity, could we modify the flile with a wider sacrificial flange or lip at ghe base just so it has more purchase? (Innocent question, I’m wholly unversed at 3d printing)

1 Like

Yeah, totally can do a brim… and that will DEFINITELY work. To be 100% honest, I’m always looking for an excuse to bust out the AquaNet.

1 Like

Awesome, “'Net it up Scottie”.

1 Like

sigh… no, I’ll let the 80s go and put a brim. I’ll pop in around lunchtime.

2 Likes

I assume this is the shop nation design.

I would also be willing to give it a try, if needed?

I just built the mk4 and have been enjoying printing shop projects, just finished a set of router inserts.

1 Like

Nice. I should say that there are definite print needs the Woodshop will continue to have. Router inserts, andbandsaw table inserts among them. But also things in the works. There is a semi universal dust collection hose connector that I would like to outfit for all the hand tools that have dust collection ports, sanders, routers, the kreg jig, the track saw, and others.
Thank you @bradcozine , @BrianD , and the FabLab for stepping up to help us out!!!

1 Like

Actually it’s from BenchtopWoodworks (also on etsy)
I’ve looked at a lot of aftermarket designs and this one “looked like” (very unscientific) it picked up a lot more dust than the shop nation design.

1 Like

3 Likes

@bradcozine
I’m brimming with excitement!

1 Like

@xrunner How would you like some fancier doors?
A little sturdier, with guides on the bottom, handles that call to be used as sliders (I still try to open them like swing doors!), and FabLab themed relief carving.
I would like to do this for you :slight_smile:
And other projects too.
Oh, and next Maker Monday I hope to get the dust collector off of our shared wall!

2 Likes