CNC Plasma Table

CNC Plasma Table

It allows me to turn sheets of metal into smaller, more interesting sheets of metal.

Initially to fill a need while MakeICT was waiting for the metalshop to re-open.

X/Y/Z Gantry kit:
Google Photos

Plasma cutter is here!
Google Photos

Base frame & X-Axis:
Google Photos

X & Y Axis in place:
Google Photos
Google Photos

Z-Axis:
Google Photos

Drive belts installed:
Google Photos

Hooking up Y-Axis stepper motor drivers:
Google Photos
Google Photos

Testing X/Y Axis:

Stepper Drivers:
Google Photos

Testing limit switch placement using Command Strips!
Google Photos

Bug in the system:
Google Photos

Just about done!
Google Photos

Testing with gcode:

CNC Drawing using pen rubber-banded to Torch holder:
Google Photos

6 Likes

That stack of stepper drivers is a little… sketchy. You know those little tabs are for mounting, right? :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lol, so that’s what those are for!!!1one

I’d like to say they’re better organized in the box they’re in now, but that would be a lie. Once I get my water pan (and get it installed), I’ll clean up the electronics (this may also be a lie).

3 Likes

This is cool following

my plasma torch would go good in something like this

2 Likes

Looks good, I’ve been building a 4x8 as well.

2 Likes

Hey, as long as the lid closes, it’s “organized”, right? :grin:

1 Like

Did you use Tennison brothers for your pan or someone / somewhere else?

Exactly my thought @Christian ! Heck, the old me wouldn’t have put them in a box!

Yeah @JeremiahB, I’ve been watching your build, looks awesome! A bit more than I’m starting with, but this will be a nice & small, but conveniently located cutter. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a friend ordering if from a place he uses. I wasn’t sure who to even ask locally to do it. I just knew I couldn’t bend it & I wasn’t going to weld that much. My welding is still kinda iffy. Of course, that would have been a LOT of welding practice!

1 Like

Just found this in my inbox. May need to start ordering parts for my own cnc plas…

Durnit still need to finish the fence…

https://www.instructables.com/Home-Built-4x8ft-CNC-Plasma-Cutting-System/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

That’s a nice looking table. A little more expensive (and larger) than I was looking to build. My garage space allocated to tools isn’t that large. :slight_smile:

Could be worse

Unallocated space in MY garage is infinitesimal

One more question for @rustin.atkeisson and @JeremiahB is water table additives. What do you guys run, if anything, in the water table to prevent corrosion & bacteria/algae growth?

I’ve looked at several products Plasma Green 9010 and GreenCut Plasma. GreentCut comes from Canada & takes awhile to ship, and has potention tarrif fees. Plasma Green is made in the US, but only comes in 5gal containers. At a 20:1 dilution, it’ll take me forever to use 5gal of it in my 15gal table.

At makeict and Groover labs I used Physan 20 and sodium nitrite. One is a rust inhibitor, and the other kills bacteria like Legionnaires . Fairly cheap and effective. if you choose this route mix thoroughly before use.

2 Likes

@iancaz any updates on your table?

Sorry, I guess I have been a bit remiss about posting updates! The table is up and running!
I was waiting on the water pan to be completed, since I didn’t trust my welding to do it!

So, here’s the water table, with the slats in it:

And here’s one of the table ready to go with the rust/funk inhibitor (SterlingCool - Plasma Cut) in it at a 20:1 water:inhibitor ratio. At this rate, this 5 gallon bucket will last me several years. :slight_smile:

Finally, my “first cut” on it:

It was a little rough, but it got it done! Now the real challenge,. fine-tuning this beast!!!

2 Likes

Ian, any more updates? fine tuning? I know @Frank is thinking of building vs buying right now.

It’s actually working pretty well these days. I’ve still got some issues getting a good ground, but I think I’ve got a plan according to several threads I’ve found online. It involves running everything (including the work lead) to an actual earth ground using a “star configuration”. We’ll see if this helps.

The biggest drawback is my cheap plasma cutter. It works well enough, but it’s noisier than bus full of band kids on their way to festival (don’t ask!). I’ve got several “custom orders” in the works & hoping to make at least a little bit of cash off of this to offset my initial expense .

All & all, it was a great project & I highly recommend it @Frank .

1 Like

I eventually plan on doing a writeup, but until I do:
Here’s the list on ebay for the “trucks”/“trollies” for the cutter. Handy when you don’t want to have to fight with worrying about if the critical parts are square (my bending/welding isn’t precise):

Also, here’s the plasma cutter I got. I works well enough (and it’s stupid cheap), but as I mentioned before, it’s putting off some noise:

Finally, here’s a plasma cutter that was recommended by “Dr. D-Flo” that’s supposed to be great:

1 Like

I had a bad experience trying to build a 3d printer once still not working tried to kit it myself.
Ended up costing me more.
Think I am gonna go with langmier kit

1 Like