Woodworking advice

I’m in need of some advice on a fold-top table. It is in need of some TLC! The legs are a little wobbly and it needs work on the finish.

1 Like

Beautiful table!
If the top is solid, it can be refinished pretty easily. If it’s veneered or ply, I think new veneer may be in order.
To get the legs a bit more firm (these type folding tables are never rock-solid) tightening or replacing some of the hardware, making sure the wooden spindle is holding the hardware well, and potentially the introduction of some brass or vinyl washers.
I try to be in on Monday nights and will be at the space tonight about 7 to 8:30 if you’d like to bring it by.

1 Like

That would be great! I’ll be there around 7:30.
Diana

···

From: noreply=talk.makeict.org@mg.makeict.org noreply=talk.makeict.org@mg.makeict.org on behalf of Aaron Rivers via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2024 7:38:28 AM
To: scandia9094@hotmail.com scandia9094@hotmail.com
Subject: [MakeICT] Woodworking advice

squarenuts Vice President and Woodshop Area Lead
March 4

Beautiful table!
If the top is solid, it can be refinished pretty easily. If it’s veneered or ply, I think new veneer may be in order.
To get the legs a bit more firm (these type folding tables are never rock-solid) tightening or replacing some of the hardware, making sure the wooden spindle is holding the hardware well, and potentially the introduction of some brass or vinyl washers.
I try to be in on Monday nights and will be at the space tonight about 7 to 8:30 if you’d like to bring it by.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Viking sewing machine for sale

Tagging along to request for woodshop advice.

I cut a 2x12 down for a chair pedestal adaptor. [Pics to follow when infigure that out on my phone.]
I am converting a conversion van captains chair into a desk chair? Attempting to anyway. Enjoying the journey. A few false starts. An overstressed pinion hole that broke my board on fitup test but that didnt surprise me.

First I cut a thick a 2x12 to about 3 ft long. Then, i cut the corners off. I expect to route or maybe even angle the edges down. I dislike sharo corners
At home, my table saw does let me set the angled pusher to a 45 ° angle. But not our great table saw here. After cutting the 6 footer in half [not lengthwise] i cut the corners off at 45°.

I was able to just eyeball my corner cutoffs after marking them. But was stymied about setting the protactor head on the pusher. It doesnt go much past 30°. And I didnt see a [custom?] Angled pusher tool. And kinda sorta faintly remember this being mentioned in passing when I was oriented in woodshop permissions class.
And I kind of want all canted and rounded edges on this board before Im done. Or my tender toes will find them hard corners. Please help.

Aspirational carpentry. Its easy to ask for help. And i dont very much care if it looks like my skill level needs an upgrade. Its why im here. Its why Im asking. Im GRATEFUL for access to a well equipped shop that is safe first, effective 2nd.

And I expect the safety part of the answer first or my opinion of my shop peers gets downgraded. Lets keep finger count maximized. Eye safety too. [Two].

And yes, Ive worn a twotoo, but not over my eyes.

I’m not sure what you mean by pusher. Do you mean the miter gauge?

You may find it easier to control if you use the miter saw to cut the corners. That’s what I would do with what I believe you have.

1 Like

Yes, thats what i couldnt think of the name. The miter gauge.

At home, mine can tilt to 45. So i was surprised when our table saw’s would not.

Ok. Different saw. Miter saw. Chop saw…
I will look at that. It should fit for my 2x12.

There is another miter gauge that I have used and was cutting corners off at 25 degrees. It may be on the shelves behind the table saw.

1 Like