What I was making at MakeICT 5 years ago

From a FB post from 5 years back:
Decided to do something in the wood shop today. Les has been telling me we need more hooks for coats and purses in the front hallway, so I made this from cedar and railroad spikes. The spikes were cut shorter on the band saw, then drilled and tapped to accept bolts that thread in from the back.
It’s still hanging in my hallway near the front door.

9 Likes

Here’s what came up on FB from 5 years ago this time:

2 Likes

This video was obviously taken with a 5 year old state-of-the-art potato.

1 Like

Five years ago at the old building:

5 Likes

Three years ago was my second arcade machine:

5 Likes

Another project started five years ago this week. I’m ready to dig it out and finish this one. It’s a clock that uses gauges to show hour/minute/second.

3 Likes

You need to get an airplane six pack …

I’ve got a speedometer/instrument cluster out of a Chevy that I’ve done a clock with, and I have an altimeter, but who knows what I’ll come across next?

Four years ago - tried the “Polished Foil Ball” fad:

3 Likes

…aaaaaand 6 years ago. Wow, I used to make a lot of stuff at MakeICT…

1 Like

Here’s another “six years ago” project from me at MakeICT. There’s a ringmaking technique where the user taps on the perimeter of a quarter or other coin to very gradually mushroom the edges all the way around to make a ring from the coin. It takes a very long time, so I built a machine that would turn a coin on a steel plate while repeatedly striking the edge. Last ring I did with a quarter, it took almost a week for the ring to reach the desired shape.

Here’s what the finished rings look like:

2 Likes

My Dad claimed using a spoon to do the same thing with a coin was an old prison method of making rings.

Indeed it was. Of course, that’s back when they used stainless steel spoons. Although lightweight, they were hard enough to deform the coins over time, which was one thing the prisoners had in abundance. The really inventive prisoners would sometimes also figure out ways to anneal the coins, either with a lighter or by running current through them with batteries from their (at one time available) radios, television sets, or tape players.

Six years ago this week…cutting boards!

3 Likes

Those are gorgeous!

1 Like

I was just playing around and made this punny t-shirt 5 years ago.

4 Likes

I believe there is a copy of that shirt in the cabinet in the Welcome Center.

1 Like

Really? I guess I might have made it, then. Is it laser-singed, like the photo?

Eight years ago this week, I learned how to make a coin ring:

6 Likes