Walkway progress in garden is excellent

I’m stuck at home, Did anyone take pictures they are willing to let me share on Social Media?

James Lancaster took several photographs… I bet he would share them.

2 Likes

I heard that @jameslancaster had the lenscap on

2 Likes

Thanks for all the fun, everyone! I’m sorry the littlest and I had to leave early. I think the heat got to her. So stoked to see the final result!

8 Likes

Man i hope thats a joke

@MAtherton your hope is realized. Particularly interested in seeing the time lapse

2 Likes

I did get a wide time lapse of it (picture every 15 seconds) of most everything done up to a certain point and took a few videos of ‘reveals’ when washing them off. That generally takes a bit to process, as for better or worse I almost always shoot raw, which gives a lot more room for recovery when things go wrong While that works good for some things, it means I have to convert, then convert to video. It’ll probably be either tonight or tomorrow before I’ve got it.

I do have a video, which for various reasons, I haven’t gotten posted as I planned to of Jay doing one of the murals and describing the process a few days ago, and did get ‘reveal’ videos of most of them.

I will say they are awesome, ranging from simple to very complex. I’ve uploaded a quick walkthrough of it from near when I left, which isn’t the greatest, but does show how things were at that time.

Apologies for the shakyness, I was moving a little bit fast, and trying to avoid things.

@squarenuts @MAtherton I did have a lenscap issue, but that was because it was missing when I took a camera out of the bag. Fortunately, The lenscap was still in the bag, and seemed to have come off when I took it out, so didn’t potentially scratch up my lens. (It looked fine.) So technically yes I had a lens cap issue, but also a joke. Kind of a rocky one, if you ask my opinion. Though, Maybe we shouldn’t go down that path.

8 Likes

That looks so wonderful. Will there be more opportunities for other spots for those who couldn’t make it? So much fun!!!

3 Likes

Because we were working with “rocks.” Eh, eh? :rofl::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And “path?!?”

I love your puns.

2 Likes

If anyone is interested I have a large Crescent Moon I made that broke in 3 pieces during the last firing. I never threw it away because I thought it could be used for EXACTLY the same type of thing you are doing now. If you want it I’d be happy to drop it off to add to the super creative garden. II have a few other ceramic odd’s and ends if you want them. Just let me know if you do.

5 Likes

Jay said that there was plans to connect the loop to the building but it sounds like it is up in the air.

It was very cool experience, this type of project is what the space needs more of.

4 Likes

I had fun partipating in this project. Thank you Jay, for the time, energy and resources you donated to bring the walkway to fruition. It looks great!! That said, are there plans to beautify the garden in the middle of the path? I would be happy to come out on a saturday or sunday evening to assist. Thinking it would be fun if we came together, each person bringing one native plant; grasses, spring/fall blooming wildflowers, etc, and as a group, we design the garden. Just an idea to keep the community vibe going. Other ideas??? In the words of Bob… lets join together and feel alright.

2 Likes

Just some more photos I took today.

5 Likes

We would love to have you, Jennifer! The garden there actually has some flowers though a few were sadly crushed by soil, some remain - the salvia, lantana and yarrow were persisting. The Bermuda grass is overgrowing since it was last cleared out earlier in the summer. We’ve had a lot of focus on the growing beds and not enough help weeding to manage that flower bed adequately!

3 Likes

Great. I would love to help tend the area. Weekends or later evenings are usually best. Just post when you plan to work on it, and if my schedule allows, i will be there. Thank you!

4 Likes

Took a bit to process, and I showed a smaller version to some people last night, slowed down some from that.

@ScottS I think there were 4 spots as of last night, with some work and maybe 2(?) being done after I left. If you haven’t spoken to Jay, you should, if you want anything concrete.

6 Likes

I see what you did there.

1 Like

So do we have room enough to invite our members to each create a stepping stone in the path, whether it is from concrete or stone or whatever other material that would withstand the environment?

3 Likes

The remainder of the garden pathway is to be stones separated by dirt/grass as voted on by the garden committee, and as these would potentially fall under the temporary art exhibits previously voted on and requested (of the membership at large) by the garden committee, I would expect individual stepping stone art to be welcomed. I’m trying to remember if garden committee needs to approve individual art installations first for this purpose? @SeanSandefur @squarenuts

2 Likes

I’d say that as long as its design is not political, crude or unsafe, inviting members to create their own stepping stones without having to approve each individual one is fine by me. That’s not necessarily a guarantee that it will be installed within any kind of immediate timeline. Posting your designs on the forum would be a great start.

As @Sherry said, the remainder of the pathways will be flagstone and other stepping stones interspersed within soil—so not in concrete.

3 Likes