Walkway progress in garden is excellent

i plan to show up and make a rare daytime hours appearance

2 Likes

is it me, or does it look a bit narrower than it was originally excavated at?

wash your car if you want to seal the deal

2 Likes

@sheldonp1968 I think it got limited to 3’ wide.

seems odd to make it that narrow, after digging it to four feet wide. Two people wont be able to walk side by side, not sure about ADA compliance width. Am curious why it was scaled down, Jay had the materials to make it four feet wide. I wonder what else has been changed?

2 Likes

ADA compliance isn’t applicable to every single area of a building. It’s 3’ wide because we met as a committee and decided it would be that size.

3 Likes

Fed requires new additions/features to even historic or grandfathered-in buildings to be ADA complient. The minimum for ADA compliance is 3ft width. When using the minimum you have to insure there are passing pads at least one per 200 or so ft of foot path.

I do agree that 3ft seems a bit tight even for us fully abled people.

1 Like

I can assure you that ADA compliance does not affect decorative stone paths in a garden. If that were the case, the entire design would be out of compliance, as it’s only partially set in concrete (much of it will be flagstone in dirt). Plus, there’s already an ADA compliant sidewalk running through our garden, connected to a blacktop and an exit.

1 Like

i guess there must have been a bit of a lack of clarity or communications during the proposal process phase for the path. I only brought up ADA as it might be brought up down the road by a member or a visitor.

1 Like

There was not a lack of clarity. We had an hour and a half long meeting two Sundays ago to discuss design and layout. Jay was there. We voted on it. If you’d like to be involved in decisions, please attend our regular Sunday meetings at 10am.

And just for the record, there’s a reason behind the 3 feet. There needs to be space on the east side, where it runs close to the building, for the mower and other heavy equipment to pass by. It’s the only place to do so without going all the way around the garden footprint. Four feet would’ve made it way too close to the existing infrastructure. There also needs to be ample space for drainage. This provides another foot of buffer between the building.

Personally, I don’t understand the issue. It’s mostly meant to be decorative. This is like 15 feet of walkway, max. The idea that people would need to walk perfectly side by side along it makes little sense to me.

3 Likes

My apologies if i came across as confrontational, just trying to be informative to what degree i can.

My only thought on the 3ft walkway is that a pair of individuals with mutual adoration for eachother may appreciate having the extra space to enjoy the path side by side. I fully understand the input time for this has passed. Cudos to Jay for his continued stonework in the space.

2 Likes

No worries. I apologize too if my words were a bit strong. I do bristle at the idea that the process wasn’t clear (though I know that wasn’t you). We are easily one of the most active committee within MakeICT and we pride ourselves on having regular meetings with lots of input. We can’t please everyone, but I do encourage anyone who has an interest in the garden space to attend. We’re a friendly bunch.

3 Likes

Sean, we may just be rivaled in amount of activity by the Jewelers!

The patch became a contentious issue for a variety of issues, but I believe we came to a very reasonable compromise that draws from a plurality of ambitions, artistic sensibilities, environmental leanings, and functional concerns held by the various members of the Garden Committee.

It’s going to be a damned fine addition to the space.

I do think of it as somewhat of a misnomer calling it a path as it isn’t meant to be in design or function a public thoroughfare in any real sense of the term. Still, the word conveys exactly the form you’d expect from an installation meant to be an aesthetic suggestion of destinations in the courtyard, to define spaces in a logical way, add flare while embodying the eclectic nature of our membership, encourage playfully skipping from stone to stone, and maybe (just maybe) keep a few people’s shoes a tad cleaner when it’s muddy outside.

3 Likes

I’ll be bringing stuff for grilling tomorrow, including some corn. Is anyone else bringing anything? Sides? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ll bring chips, drinks, and dessert of some sort.

3 Likes

Probably other things, too. Kiddos will be in tow, and we like options. :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ll bring something, but tonight’s mtg length threw off my baking plans

3 Likes

Same. So we will bring store-bought. :rofl:

3 Likes

Got here early, AC turned on in 4, lounge, and jewelry so we have plenty of cool down spots.

Also if anyone needs stones shaped/smoothed just grab me and we can use the trim saw and 80grit wheel on the cabbing machine.

2 Likes

I’m bringing watermelon - at least one of mine from the garden is ready to pick. Moving it to the fridge now!

2 Likes