The lounge

Reaching out to the fantastic MakeICT membership. I would like a cart for our popcorn machine and was wondering if anyone with welding skills would be will to their expertise with me. I would be willing to supply needed materials and hardware. I also want a cabinet to house our dartboard. AND I’m looking for art to put up in the room. If anyone is interested in helping with any of these please reply to this message. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Metal or wood… we have a lot of talented woodworkers too.

Oh this is exciting!

1 Like

Is it a home game room? Sounds cool!

Our lounge at MakeICT
I can give you dimensions

3 Likes

We are putting casters under it right? Pretty please.

2 Likes

There’s a box of casters in the metalshop near the cnc plasma cutter.

We have a 30in pan/brake/press that can handle 20g, but right now we don’t have any plasma cutting equipment up and running.

I don’t mind cutting and forming pieces in my home shop if you can come up with a dimensioned drawing of what you want. …but I’ll let you do the assembly yourself unless you want it riveted together.

2 Likes

It would be cool to do an old timey look on the popcorn machine. Like a set of big painted yellow wheels… red, yellow and gold leaf lettering on the glass. I would love to paint on that thing for a while. Can’t remember what it even looks like now.

2 Likes

This is what I’m imagining

3 Likes

Here’s our machine

It’s all cleaned up in the break room if you want to look at it

1 Like

There will be wheels

1 Like

They make gold leaf vinyl we could plot out. I’d sure like to learn to do real gold leaf lettering but not sure of the time it would take. The movie reels in the corners are cool too.

1 Like

It would be super if it had space in the cart to contain all of the equipment/supplies in the cart out of view. (And contained in plastic containers to discourage the mice.)

1 Like

The area under the popcorn machine will have a door and a space for stuff and should be mouseproof. Like this cart

1 Like

okay… I’ll add polishing the aluminum parts and painting the rest if I cranked out the parts for this… you might check with Bike Walk Wichita for the wheels.

2 Likes

I will get you drawings and materials, still searching for wheels-will try bicycle exchange on central, might get lucky. I was thinking 1"square alum rod for the frame? How thick should the alum sheets be for the floor and sides of the box? 1/8"?

If you plan on using totes to house the supplies it will make it easier to keep the interior clean - and to factor your measurements - just a thought before you have it all drawn up.

1 Like

I would suggest raiding the sheet metal rack in the hot metalshop (the room with the red welding curtains up) as long as there aren’t any names on the metal. Otherwise, a fresh 4x8ft sheet of 20g is about $70 at the yard.

1/8in plate would be overkill…

Anything between 20g and 24g should work pretty good (.0375 down to about .024 thick)

I do have some 1in aluminum square stock I wouldn’t mind donating to the project.

For comparison, the sides of the air box for the air filtration box in the fablab are made from 20g steel and is a bit hefty.

1 Like

popcorn machine cart measurements20201116212215656.pdf (645.2 KB)

1 Like

I have some 1” x 2” thin walled aluminum square tubing I could donate to the popcorn rig. Don’t jump for joy yet, years ago I built a carrier to mount to my trailer to haul 7 kayaks for an adventure…now that I got a truck, I’m building a custom roof rack and don’t think I’ll ever use the rig I built for the trailer.
That being said, after cutting it apart, there would be 6pcs better than 5’ in length and 6pcs in the area of 4’. Plus several feet more that are just taking up space in the garage.
Anyway, there would be more than plenty to construct an inner frame for the cart.

1 Like

Off topic here, Marko, did you spend time in Japan?