Riverfest 2022 - Sundown Parade - Wanna Do Something?

Anybody interested in putting together something MakeICT for the Sundown Parade?
Deadline for Submissions is April 20th.

I’d love us to do something for the Sundown Parade. I’m happy to help as well.

I’ll help wherever you feel it makes sense for me to do so!

It’s right around the corner. I’m still not terribly familiar with the events and workings of Wichita so I tend to find out about them right before, or more typically after, they happen. Perhaps a running list of what’s coming up in the next 3-6 months that the space may want to begin to prepare for to promote itself could help. Does the @Events committee keep such an “on the radar” list?

I think it would be awesome to make a float! I moved here from New Orleans and they make tons of their float designs by carving thru styrofoam with a CNC. I have a few contacts I could reach out to for more info on that process as well if we are intetested!

2 Likes

@bradcozine More reason to get your foam cutter going.

2 Likes

I’m on it! :slight_smile: Picked up some wood to start the bed… got most everything else to get it going. BUT I am a bit unconfident on how to best move forward with the bed. I’m going to do a v0.1 just to get it going. I would also like to collaborate with someone on a multi-axis hotwire foam cutter. Again, I’m hesitating in settling on a design.

1 Like

Brad,

Events was folded into Classroom. Usually there are 4 - 5 at our meetings 2nd and 4th Tuesdays 8:00 pm. There is a list of recurring events on the Wiki. Most of these are our events that we have done before. Keep in mind that our whole situation is changing due to our move from E Douglas out to the Suburbs.

All that said. 4 regular members is not a lot to work a larger event. So it was great to have a large number of people attend the last meeting(s) as preparation for Comicon and the Ren Faire was happening. So to make things like this happen we need to have more regular members attend regularly. Given my schedule, the virtual option really helps.

Those wishing to plan a float should attend the meeting on April 12. Then join the committee. Current Event is MakerMay and the June 4 Outdoor Open House.

Since Riverfest starts June 3 - Our participation should include using the Riverfest Listing of Happenings to get the Open House listed. We are’t on the River, but we are on a creek!

2 Likes

We’ve been apart of Riverfest in the past in the Kid’s Corner. Unfortunately, our contact is out of the loop and Riverfest has a whole new staff. I think it is very important that when we work with groups outside the Makerspace that we use our group emails so we don’t get perceived as ghosting event organizers or they are contacting someone who is no longer active. More eyes and ears in the loop is always a good thing.

1 Like

I agree with Malissa on using group emails.

2 Likes

Me too
Three nerd rule activated!

1 Like

what have we decided?

1 Like

Let’s start with a walking group and some oversized foam tools

1 Like

I’ll have a new baby by then and it would be SO FUN to stick her in the stroller and go for a stroll. Can’t really commit to much more than that, but I’d love to walk the parade!

2 Likes

I like the idea of a walking group. It would allow us to gauge interest before investing as much time and money as we would doing a whole float…

2 Likes

We have such a list, but it is a little out of date. I was supposed to update it in January… but I had to stomp out some fires…lol.

https://wiki.makeict.org/wiki/Annual_Calendar

As April 20th was the deadline did anyone apply for the parade? I would say it’s not to late to reach out to staff and apply if it were still the same staff in place, as last year, but they have an entirely new staff and I don’t know how hard and fast they are going to be about deadlines. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask if we didn’t make the April 20 cut off.

We need to add that to the calendar…sigh…

Update the deadline has been extended to Wednesday April 27th, do we want to apply?

I am defiantly interested in contributing and participating in River fest. I will attend the Classroom committee meeting on Tuesday!

1 Like