NOMCON Backdrop

So I ordered these 3 pieces and planned on working on them Sunday and Monday. They can travel with @ladeana and I to Chatanooga on Friday. I need the files cut out of 1/2" plywood.

The following is the information they sent me:

We want your help to build the individual sections using whatever materials or methods of making. This includes:

• Woodworking
  • Sewing
  • 3D prints
  • Knitting
  • Welding
  • Electronics
  • Cardboard
  • Paper
  • Zip Ties
  • Recycled parts
  • Old toys
  • Ceramics

The final result will be used as the backdrop for the main stage at NOMCON.

Requirements:

• Must be backed by ½” plywood
  • Write the part number of the back face using a permanent marker.
  • Decorate the front using any form of making
  • Try and match the color of the part sent to you. Color can be close

2 Likes

the 3 triangles are SVGs if anyone can help cut those on the shop-bot preferably from 1/2" plywood. I can also e-mail them to a volunteer. I can get some work or help on the rest Sunday/Monday. I will need to mail them Tuesday as the Chattanooga Conference Center is only open till 5 on Friday

I’ll be at the space Sunday if I could get help getting these cut. I can do the rest.

We didn’t have scrap so i just purchased a piece of plywood

The plywood is in the wood shop with a yellow sticker with my name on it. It’s a 2 ft x 4 ft sheet. If someone has time to cut it or help me cut it tomorrow. I’d be grateful. Name a reasonable favor and I pay you back.

Do you know what kind of tolerance is allowable? It should be pretty easy for somebody to cut them on the table saw if you don’t actually need 4 decimal places of precision.

I thought I’d do that tomorrow if no one has done it for me. They need to fit with the parts on each side of it, which other people are making.

I wish I had time to come down and help, but I had some family things come up on Sunday, so I was not able to be down at the space for the member meeting. If you wanted to go high tech could scribe the polygon on the laser or go old school and use a compass and straight edge. Then band saw close to the edge and clean it up on the sander.

The one thing I could not easily figure out from the main picture and the numbers is where the triangles were. I thought it would have been cool to work in some part of the geography of the given tile as part of the design.

1 Like

Got the correct 93 Woohoo!

Here’s the finished 92

Other 2 done thanks @doug.wilson for the help. I will help clean the wood shop next clean up day.

2 Likes

It’d be fun to do our own art wall like this, with a MakeICT logo or maybe the Wichita flag, what do folks think?

3 Likes

I’m in and ready to make more

How about our logo with one of the eyes as the center of the flag and the other colors of the flag radiating from that?

Make it 3 d where it shows the flag when you are to the left and our logo to the right… Maybe like pyramids ?

1 Like

We could make it a movable wall with removable handles and casters. That way it could be our parade entry, we walk and it rolls down the street.

Power it with weed whackers

Or if we had a way to control direction gas powered leaf blower hovercraft.

I’ll commit to a 2d wall design :slight_smile: And since the individual pieces can go nuts, we should probably keep the overall shape a simple one.

What shape would you want to contribute to?

• Wichita flag
  • Wichita map
  • MakeICT logo
  • Buffalo
  • Kansas map
  • Airplane
  • Wichita Skyline
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

Some inspiration and this will go from event to event

1 Like