Missing stuff when people leave in anger

Is there a way we can do a better job of cutting equipment and material/tool losses, when members are asked to leave? Due to being angry, “THINGS” seem to magically grow legs and walk off at exactly the same time. Some of the tools and equipment may not have any cash value or look like worthless junk just laying around but it’s “NOT”, they are tools, materials and other items brought in and donated to the space to enrich and diversify a persons creative experience in the area. Sooooo…Ceramics had a Great Exodus of diverse items leave during the big migration. There is a growing interest in Handbuilding. Several women have already been making some pretty awesome stuff by hand. Brain started handbuilding recently. Handbuilding is growing. I’m in need of old chinese Wok’s. I want the ones with the broken handle, the rusty ones, It’s the shape I’m interested in. I want to teach a bowl making class so people could make a hand made item for the holidays as a gift but all the forms I needed are gone now. I brought a wok from home I had, but i’m keeping it. I use it as a form a lot.

7 Likes

I could use a Wok as a form to make plaster hump and slump molds. I intend to be their Monday evening for open house. We can talk more then.

3 Likes

We are new members and have a small box of pottery tools to donate for the studio but didnt want to leave it randomly and it be seen as a dump off. Whats the best method to donate?

6 Likes

Is there a list of things that ceramics needs that are items under $20 that you could use multiples of?

2 Likes

@Ceramics

2 Likes

This generated a very lengthy and somewhat contentious discussion: [Administration] Proposed policy available for comment: Member-Owned Equipment

There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on how to modify the current policy -OR- how to enforce it.

1 Like

I feel like the title is a little inaccurate. It doesn’t seem to be so much when people leave in anger as it is when they are banned from the space.

1 Like

Maybe ceramics can make a list of things that make good molds and share it? Ill be sorting out my garage soon and there may be some things in there. I seem to remember ceramics had an assortment of bowls and containers that were used as molds. Im sure others would help fill the need for molds if everyone knew what was useful.

4 Likes

I don’t think it has to be a total rewrite as proposed and compromise comes from working together not dictation. I think if documentation doesn’t occur it becomes property of the makerspace. It’s that simple. If you want to loan your things make sure it gets documented.

1 Like

Woks and those different sized metal mixing bowls make GREAT slump molds.

1 Like

There is a list started in ceramics for things we need. Since MOST people prefer the wheel over handbuilding, I don’t think Russell has even had time to think about handbuilding needs with all the changes lately. I think he may have a lot on his plate between balancing his own life and the position he suddenly found himself in. Russ is lead so these are all things that need to go through him. I know there was a meeting about ceramics recently but I found out about it to late, so I did not attend. You can make slump molds out of a wide range of things. I like the Wok shape because I like to make the inside of the bowl the sculptural focus. I also like those cheap plastic dollar tree bowls as a slump mold. I like that shape if I want the decorations on the outside of the bowl. The shape is great for making fruit bowls, trick-or-treat bowls, it’s a great serving bowl size. A small round bathroom waste basket makes a great form for a larger house plant planter. I use balloons as a form for coil pots. I don’t have enough time left on this earth to write down the endless possibilities in handbuilding because I get new ideas from all sorts of stuff that isn’t even ceramics related. I can watch a cake decorating contest and “BOOM” I’m trying something new because it gave me an idea. I made another creative connection. This is how my brain works “ALL” the time. I literally mean “ALL” the time. I am always seeing things that give me inspiration and new ideas that I HAVE to tinker with to see if my idea actually works or not. I can sit in a room full of people at a meeting and I’ll tune things out because someones shirt gave me an idea or someones earrings inspired me and my mind is off trying to figure out how to bring my idea into creative reality. I do more than ceramics. My thing is actually pen and ink drawing, I’m way better at drawing than I am at ceramic’s. I can paint, I know water colors, acrylic and oils. I just don’t enjoy painting. I can embroider, sew, crochet, weave, macrame, and batik… I recently did some wood turning and I liked that. I also took a class for silk screening, I have a few more to take before I turn myself loose in that department. I even dabbled in block print. I’ve done some dabbling in jewelry, all assembly work. Tried my hand at beading, like weaving and sewing I found beading is not my thing. I can do it, I’m pretty decent at it but I don’t enjoy it the same as the other stuff.

5 Likes