[Administration] Proposed policy available for comment: Member-Owned Equipment

At the following location:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bei8x58en3u1ZgKKevwfhu6aT5sVuWTvfgnuOty0OMQ/edit?usp=sharing

2 Likes

But that doesn’t show what’s changing from here or how the new policy will read.

1 Like

I assume this replaces parts of Tool Loans to MakeICT Policy - MakeICT Wiki?

Are we aware of what all could walk if people don’t want to convert their loan to a donation with this policy?

5 Likes

I picked up all my equipment today.

1 Like

This policy is intended to replace the Tool Loans to MakeICT policy. Members shall no longer “loan” equipment to MakeICT. They may only donate equipment, keep it on the premises in personal storage, allow others to use it under specific conditions, and/or volunteer their own equipment for events and claim it in a timely manner afterward.

1 Like

You can’t replace the entire policy if you have this statement in the new policy

The equipment remains on the property of MakeICT, or is used by other members of MakeICT, by explicit agreement between the member and the Inventory committee, for no longer than two days following an event requiring the loan of the equipment.

If you gut the current policy you gut the previous agreements and process already in place.

1 Like

Jeez.

So this part:

The equipment remains on the property of MakeICT for a period of no more than two weeks by explicit agreement between the member and the area lead.

The classrooms and general areas in the building are managed by committees and not a lead. Can the classroom and facilities committee chairs also approve these short term stays?

And this part:

The equipment remains on the property of MakeICT, or is used by other members of MakeICT, by explicit agreement between the member and the Inventory committee, for no longer than two days following an event requiring the loan of the equipment.

If the equipment is recorded by Inventory Committee, why does the policy require a two day limit? If it’s recorded it’s recorded. Some members have generously loaned their equipment for long periods of time, and MakeICT has benefited from that. Would be a shame to end those kinds of loans just because a couple of people decided to abuse the system.

And, the elephant in the room question, do we even have an active Inventory Committee right now?

7 Likes

This has been removed from the agenda for the upcoming meeting.

I am curious about the circumstance that’s prompting this change. It seems like the loan policy benefits the members and space as long as the person loaning equipment understands and accepts the risks.

5 Likes

The current policy wasn’t followed. I think a better alternative is to keep the policy as is just add a stipulation that anything that comes to the space without following policy is considered a donation and becomes property of the space.

2 Likes

I was going to ask “what problem does this solve?” but then I remembered loans were always a bit of a tracking nightmare that put more work on the area leads. I’ve seen members loan tools that we really needed, then we had to come up with quick replacement plans if they were suddenly taken back. And I’ve seen members loan tools that we didn’t really need but they were really offended when we asked them to stop using the space for free storage.

Could we change the title of this thread to something like “proposed tool donation policy” so it’s more specific? we could name just about any thread “policy”.

5 Likes

There’s an awkward space for items under $50 in value which inventory doesn’t care about (or at least wasn’t considered important for inventory purposes per Nicole).

@SeanReed all kinds of stuff just appears out of nowhere and whether it was considered a donation initially or not, it later gets considered a loan or otherwise not the property of the space. We had issues with large rocks and other items in the garden which were eventually sold privately, still took over another month to get removed, and the organization didn’t receive a commission as our policy indicates it should. Then the transformer running the second kiln was reclaimed saying it was a loan and not a donation, etc.

5 Likes

So, maybe we just need better enforcement and not a new policy. And/or, add Malissa’s clause.
The current policy is pretty robust and good.

And, if this was spurred by the kiln transformer, our policies should not suffer a rewrite due to the previous board’s inability to foresee the consequences of their actions. I would hate to set the precedence of every time the board does a shotgun maneuver, we have to rewrite policy to fix their mistakes.

5 Likes

I’m confused. Please explain.

1 Like

This! I don’t understand the point of writing a new policy as a remedy to an old policy not being followed. Seems redundant, and also doesn’t offer any solutions to fix the failure of the old policy. The correction should be a new effort to keep on top of administrative tasks - whatever that may look like. Perhaps bring in someone from outside the organization to train a new inventory committee and establish sound processes?

6 Likes

Any items brought to the space that do not follow this policy over $50 is considered a donation. Any items under $50 can not be inventoried and will always be considered a donation. Easy fix.

1 Like

Garden implements don’t fit in lockers and are often under $50 and may be used for private plots.

1 Like

Wait anytime I bring in ANYTHING not costing $50 it’s automatically no longer mine?

1 Like

Any items brought to the space that do not follow this policy over $50 is considered a donation. Any items under $50 can not be inventoried and will always be considered a donation, unless it follows storage policy for the area it is left in.

1 Like