MakeICT Podcasts

Hello all, just your humble vice-chair of the Multimedia committee giving the membership at large a peek at some of the things we’re planning. Mainly for today bringing up that we are getting in the works a MakeICT Podcast feed!

(Hold for applause)

So, the current plan is to create a single RSS Feed that serves out the podcasts to all the major podcast sources (Spotify, Stitcher, ect.) and have -multiple- podcasts hosted on it. Think of the RSS Feed as a TV channel and all the different podcast programs as, well, programs. The thought behind doing it this way instead of a feed per program is 1) cheaper, 2) allows members to try their idea and either run with it if they like it or don’t without accruing a cost and 3) allow the channel to always have something being released without any one podcast creator/editor feeling like they -need- to get a podcast posted on the regular.

That brings me to you, the avid member. We’re looking for pitches for possible podcast content under the MakeICT banner. So far, our current pitches are::

1. Actual Play TTRPG Podcast with a regular group of members with possible “guest” members coming in to play from time to time. (Already have some interest in this one with a DM/GM Lined up)
  2. An Q&A type interview podcast with local makers in the Wichita area.
  3. A roundtable style discussion podcast with membership/leads/board discussing current topics of interest at MakeICT.
  4. Scripted “Radio Drama/Serial” like in the glory days of radio.

This is, I’m sure, only the very tip of a content iceberg our membership can think of. So, post your ideas below. Or if one of the above ideas sounds cool and you want to help out, shout out and be heard!

9 Likes

Oh, do I get to do chasing interviews like we’d discussed? :rofl:

3 Likes

The chasing interview is such a fun idea

2 Likes

Im sure we could build a high speed vespa sprint with an audio recording package. Maybe bright yellow.

Quick artists rendering.

tumblr_inline_p9bjpa7qpe1txslc0_540

2 Likes

@MAtherton FLCL!

Also, a Welcome to Nightvale inspired series?!? :scream::grin:

Would you be interested in making a short? https://tallgrassfilm.org/programs/take-36-take-2/
Also Doc Sunback applications are opening soon http://www.docsunbackfilmfest.com/

We talked about making a Recess Peanut Butter Cup parody in the past. “you put art in my technology, you put technology in my art”

3 Likes

This sounds awesome! If there’s anything I can help with, let me know, although my schedule’s very irregular so I don’t know if I would be able to show up for anything on a regular basis. Also a radio show sounds super wacky! If you need writers for that I would be super hyped to be involved.

5 Likes
  1. Tales of Classroom 5, a scripted podcast in the vane of “Welcome to Nightvale” that details the goings on of the secret, unbeknownst to members Classroom 5 and all of its weird happenings. (Proposed by Kim Nguyen)
1 Like

We’re not -quite- where we could make a short film. Audio podcasts are the low hanging fruit for us because most of the equipment needed is already at MakeICT, just requires some fine tuning.

1 Like

I feel like the fact that we have a spooky boiler room, and spooky tunnels, under the building would be excellent material for this idea.

3 Likes

Thats exactly where this idea spawned from. That and sleep deprivation.

3 Likes

I think we should have a phantom of the makerspace who crawls around the tunnels and spies on people.

3 Likes

@KatieOfConrad Yes! Please do feel free to write and submit! I’ve already begun writing a bit. I figure related but still independently one-shot stories would be perfect.

3 Likes

Yes! @MAtherton and I actually brought that up last night. I’m super stoked to hear your ideas! :smiley:

3 Likes

I volunteer to build an Arduino-based sound FX box that can sit way back in a tunnel and provide appropriate sounds at random intervals.

4 Likes

I may have the Adafruit sound boards for that if you have an amplifier.

2 Likes

Quick Update:: Ethan showed me a base primer for using the Room 4 soundboard, at least enough to be dangerous. Going to look for a good recording/editing software package and -then- I’m going to need some test subjects to help me work out audio levels and what to expect from the current mics.

Keep suggesting content! Circulate the Tapes!

4 Likes

I’ve got amps, both modules and bare LM386 ICs.

1 Like

One of the other podcasts that might be fun would be a stories for kids podcast or maybe even be a stories by kids podcast.

3 Likes

@ladeana I love that!!!

1 Like