MakeICT Challenge Coins

Hey Kids,

I’ve been doing some metal casting lately, and I’d like to do something for MakeICT. I’d like to cast some metal Challenge Coins. I’ve got everything I need except a 3D model. If someone with some modeling skills would like to team up and design a coin, I’ve got a decent SLA printer to print the model to make molds from. Anyone up to the challenge?

David

1 Like

By the way, what I’d need is simply the .stl file. I can print it, mold it, and cast it.

1 Like

If you can’t get someone who has more arty type skills, I would do it. (It would probably be cooler if we can get someone to do an arty piece.)

2 Likes

I’m interested. I can provide the design and 3d model. What did you have in mind for size and design? Something having to do with the move to the new building might be cool.

2 Likes

Something written in Latin

Like “Sanctus crap hic est multus of opus”

Holy crap this was a lot of work!

4 Likes

I’d be great to commerate what we did in the past year. Could it incorporate an image of the current space and old space.
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium est scriptor
There’s no place like home

1 Like

Ex deliquito cognito

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1936616

3 Likes

I think the heads side needs the makeict head. Maybe a Latin quote and the year circled around the outside. Then the back a bas relief image of the new campus.

I like small details on stuff like this. Things that become apparent after a couple of minutes of taking it in.

It would be cool if we can achieve enough detail that we can put a message on the edge.

2 Likes

Man, it’s been a while since I messed with making challenge coins.

I had made some dies in the past to mint coins for the renn fair to hand out but even with soft brass, I think it was going to take a 100 ton press to make a 2in dia coin work.

I think I still have some of the tool steal laying around from that project if someone wants to try acid etching a design.

1 Like

@David

You know it wouldn’t be right to have challenge coins without having a Bar. :beers: :smiley: :beers:

2 Likes

I have a small block of graphite that I could mill to make a one-sided bar.

1 Like

The old building might be cool on the challenge coins. Only because i think of the first makeict location as some mythical place that I’ve never even seen a picture of. Someday the new building will be all most people know.

Either way, does anyone have a nice picture of each building that I can use?

The Best picture I have scene was a cover photo on the Facebook Business Page. Thought now thinking of it do you mean Bluebird or Douglas?

Ya that wasn’t very clear lol. I was talking about the Douglas location on the coin, but thinking more about it, that doesn’t make a lot of sense. This coin seems to be to commemorate the move.

2 Likes

We could split it. For a time during the move I made a split collage image of the 2 building. How big is this coin going to be? Half or silver dollar size?

Might be to much going on visually on a coin to try to split image

My graphite block (which I intend to mill out as a mold) is 5cm x 5cm x 2 cm, or 1.9685" x 1.9685" x 0.787402".

For reference:
US Half Dollar 3.061cm diameter

image image
US Silver Dollar 3.81cm diameter

US American Silver Eagle 4.06cm diameter.

I was planning on doing something about the size of a Silver Eagle.

1 Like

Lol on a DND forum someone came up with a magical item that forces the finder to accomplish a task. It was a coin that said TOIT on it…

It was a round TOIT… around to it…

Thought of this thread.

1 Like

Omfray ailurefay omeskay owledgenay.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Now that is my kind of latin :slight_smile:

1 Like