Looking for an AVR programmer

I recently acquired an older-model Cricut machine, which is built on the ATmega1281 microcontroller, and I’d like to jailbreak it. Is there an AVR programmer somewhere in the Electronics lab, or is anybody willing to lend me one for a day or two?

3 Likes

I’m interested in how that goes. I bought one a couple years ago with the intent to do the same but it’s being sitting in a shelf since then.

3 Likes

Oh, I’ll have to check but I might have a programmer. The question is, where would I have put it. I know it was in a pink bag…

2 Likes

If you can locate it, I’d love to give it a try.

1 Like

I have one and we have an older cricuit in room 3. I would be interested to see how things go for you. I did purchase software that was suppose to be a work-around. I ran into some road blocks and put it back on the shelf for a later date.

3 Likes

Do you mean that you own a programmer or a Cricut?

1 Like

Are you needing the HV fuses messed with? There is a dragon I can get ahold of

···

On Fri, Jan 6, 2023, 18:35 Eric via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| supercritical MakeICT Member
January 7 |

• | - |

Paula:

I have one

Do you mean that you own a programmer or a Cricut?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| Paula MakeICT Member
January 6 |

• | - |

I have one and we have an older cricuit in room 3. I would be interested to see how things go for you. I did purchase software that was suppose to be a work-around. I ran into some road blocks and put it back on the shelf for a later date.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

To your question: No.

The Dragon is exactly what I need.

1 Like

Cricut and there’s one that was donated to Textiles that is currently located with scrapbooking in Class Room 3

2 Likes

Is it going to mess you up if I bring that kit on Monday? I live in Hutchinson and this weekend is shaping up to be the opposite of relaxing O.o

3 Likes

Not in the slightest. Beggars can’t be choosers, anyway. :smiley:

1 Like

Cricuit

2 Likes

I have an AVRISP MKII if that helps.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ll DM you in the event my rendezvous with James tomorrow is called off.

1 Like

I just left it with Judith (the robotic arm) so it’s a small unassuming brown box immediately to your right when you walk in the electronics room. I’m dubious about the USB cable with it. It may be power only so keep that in mind. But it has a breadboard and headers and a breadboard.

I warn you though I haven’t learned to use it yet…

···

On Sun, Jan 8, 2023, 12:53 Eric via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| supercritical MakeICT Member
January 8 |

• | - |

Thank you. I’ll DM you in the event my rendezvous with James tomorrow is called off.

In Reply To

| SmithDrewSmith MakeICT Member
January 8 |

• | - |

I have an AVRISP MKII if that helps.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Thanks, James. I should need it for only a short time, and you’ll have it back today, if you so desire.

I will also document the process here for future reference.

2 Likes

Just leave it there.

Some idiot had soldered a socket on it (me) and I had to remove it. I had planned to add header pins (now done) and build a small kit for it (also now done) and then build a small tutorial to get started with programming small chips (not done :frowning: ) so it can live at the makerspace now. Whilst I ponder how the tutorial is going to look.

Or get sidetracked fixing the robot… either or LOL

3 Likes

I had problems right out the gate today, and I’m still not sure whether the cause was PEBKAC, improper configuration, or a true hardware fault. To rule out the latter, @SmithDrewSmith, may I borrow your programmer?

2 Likes

Sure. I dont have it with me but can bring it to work tomorrow and by MakeICT on my lunch. Or we can work something else out.

3 Likes

And you tried a different usb cable?

That one is dubious IMHO

3 Likes