Logan's EPIC Magic Wheelchair Halloween!

Just a reminder that we still need some automotive gauges. If you have any old gauges that look like these:

or these:

…we could put them to good use, working or not. We don’t need the mounting plate, just the single gauges, but we’ll really need to have them by Sunday October14, but if you do have one or more to donate, please let me know ASAP, even if you can’t bring them down right away.

Thanks!

We never got kicked out, but rather moved the truck up front for the benefit of Maker Monday guests to see what’s up. Are you there now, and do I need to run down and help move it back to the wood shop?

No I moved it back in the wood shop, thanks for getting back to me.

@David I can come by after 6pm Thursday to do the vacuum forming.

Here is the second version. I sanded it a bit more, and tried to paint it, but it is not perfectly smooth, but I think it will be better then the first attempt.

Here is a mirror holder for the fire truck. I based it off of the foam carvings Eric made, but I left the paper with exact dimensions. I can post the stl’s for someone to print a second copy.

3 Likes

Wow. Just wow. Between Erik’s artistic talent and your 3D modeling ninja skills, those turned out absolutely fantastic. I’m constantly amazed by the talent on our team. I kind of want a firetruck of my own at this point!

Way better! Awesome work Tom!

I’ve been thinking about the light bar on the roof. I think we need to build a housing for the lights that looks like a traditional light bar.

I was also thinking that we need windshield wipers too. They don’t need to be functional. The details are really going to set this thing off.

1 Like

I sanded for 1/2 hour Wednesday morning. I also dropped some 2.0 schedule 40 pipe off. It’s on the metal shop steel rack.

@David
I left the second hubcap buck on the vacuum former. Please excuse my crappy paint job. I was rushing. I am going to be tied up tonight, so I will not be able to help with the vacuum forming.

I can help friday night, or sunday.

Thanks, Tom – I can deal with the vacuum-forming. I’ll knock them out either tonight or during the day tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try to come down friday night to try to cut the wheels again on the shopbot.

Here is the 2nd version of the wheel. I will cut the remaining 4 on the shoptbot this weekend. It takes about 10-12 min per wheel. Then I will start painting them, late tomorrow or morning.

Here is the wheel with the hubcap. I am going to try to put together a jig to cut on the band saw or with a turnable/knife to true up the edge.

2 Likes

Nice work!

Here is the progress. Put me down for 12 hours today. Watching the shop bot run is boring.

Here is one on the shopbot after cutting.

After cutting out the vacuum formed hubcaps, and part of the wheels.

There were a few casualties. Double sticky tape is only good for 1, maybe 2 uses. :frowning: If someone happens to be in the morning and wants to sand the foamcoat patches, they would be ready to seal.

I added a layer of the styrofoam sealer about 7pm Sat. anytime after 9-10 it will be ready for a second coat. If someone happens to have time tonight or in the morning. I left the paint prush and sealer in white bottle.

Here are the hubcaps and single mirror. With metallic paint. I have lost the spare hubcap.

Will the truck be back for the build time tomorrow? Will it be at 6pm? Is there a list of accessories that need to be made?

I have taken measurements of the light bar(s), but I would like to see them in relation to the truck, before mocking anything up.

Here are the accessories I can think of, but I don’t know the status.

Light bar(s).
head light mounts.
side panel. Does anyone know the dimension of the side panels?

• gauges. (did you find any @David?) Do we need to mock some up.
  • Hose fitting
    Bubble gun mount
    windshield wiper mounts @eric

I haven’t heard that there will be any delay on returning the truck, so I’m assuming it will be there tomorrow at 6. Even if it isn’t, however, we have plenty to do. At the top of the agenda is creating a punch list for things that must be done in the next 2 weeks. I’d like everyone’s input on that as we put it together, and I’ll make sure that it is accessible to the entire team.

We should try to have everyone there tonight. Maybe meet at 5?

Truck is at MakeICT

1 Like

@mac the paint is awesome!

The truck is coming together still. We’ve got more to get done but man this thing is really looking good!

@Christian and @dom I’ve still got the headlights and taillights to attach, but the running lights are installed. I’m hoping to get all the lights installed this week and ready to wire up.

3 Likes

For those of you who are not familiar with our build, this truck is going to be over-the-top ridiculously EPIC! It will have a working snorkel that moves from side to side and shoots a stream of bubbles, working headlights, working running lights, pushbutton controls for everything, red/blue emergency lights, siren, and since Logan is non-verbal, a button to make the truck shout “Trick or Treat!” Buttons will control the side-to-side motion of the snorkel as well as the bubble stream. After seeing how this truck is coming out, I’ve gotten seriously jealous. I never, ever had such an EPIC halloween costume. Of course, we’ll be having a reveal party at the fire station in Amorita, OK, on Sunday the 28th, and there will be real fire trucks there as well. I can’t wait for this to be finished. We will have some EPIC photos!
It has been some time since we’ve had such a cooperative, hands-on project at MakeICT, so it is good for us as well!

4 Likes

Team members, please be thinking about items to include for last-minute adjustments on the day of the reveal.

I’ve got a few to start off:

Assortment of zip ties
Velcro
Lengths of PVC, along with a hacksaw to cut it.
Duct Tape

What else?

1 Like