Logan's EPIC Magic Wheelchair Halloween!

Here are a few more. The plan is to finish the FoamCoat this week, so we can have a red truck next week! Tom Bloom is working on the wheels/tires, so that will make a big difference as well. Christian has been working on electronics, and Dominic finished the Arduino/Sound stuff already. Lots of other folks working, as well…thank you!

6 Likes

That looks fantastic!!!

Thanks Scott. Everyone who had been involved in the construction of the physical truck so far is @jcarpenter81, @mac, @David, @barb, @ladeana, roz and i. Thanks guys! This thing is going to be awesome! Logan is going to love it!

If anyone wants to help us out just let me know! We’ve only got a few weeks left to knock this thing out of the park. The detail work is coming soon, which is definitely the best part imo.

1 Like

Okay I spent 3.5 hours sanding. A few places to finish. Then ready to skim coat again. A couple of places on the right back 1/4 panels still soft. I think I may have to add some glue blocks on the front lower 1/4s. One side popped loose this morning.
Sand on people’s.

2 Likes

Wheels
I cut a few blocks to glue up for some tires. I looked around to see if I could find the white gorilla glue.

I left them by the firetruck in the wood shop. If someone would like to glue up a few of the blocks so they can be cut later in the week. I have some single pieces I will do some test cuts with.

What is logan’s town called?

Nevermind… I found it.

I’m going to make these decals for the truck.

3 Likes

Too cool… You should make some big ones for the towns firetruck…lol

I’m not sure how they’d react to leaving Byron out, since it is Amorita-Byron Fire Rescue…

1 Like

I can change that.

1 Like

I made a couple “emergency 911 response” decals as well as one for the front that reads “first in last out” in engine turned gold. I’m also going to make one for the side below the ladder that reads “amorita & byron fire dept.”

I thought about getting really creative and making little decals that say stuff like “this is not a step” for the wheel wells. And “caution: high pressure” for the hose attachments and stuff like that. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hey I was asked about other times to work on the truck what days and times should I add to the calendar and FB?

I also suggested tearing down the Auction and using the Creator Showroom to spread out the build. I can clear out the space on Friday.

It looks like Jerry has been coming in daily to do block sanding, and I’ve dropped by a few times. I’m not sure the front area would be good quite yet, with all the sanding dust. Once it is painted (hopefully this week), we can move there.

1 Like

Just a heads-up for everyone…KSN is tentatively planning on coming out for a story on Logan’s EPIC Wheelchair. Current plans are for either Friday or Monday. As soon as they have their schedule worked out, I’ll let everyone know. Things could change, depending on what else happens in the world, but for now, that’s the story.

1 Like

This Friday or monday? We’re not going to be done by then…

1 Like

That’s ok, we’ve made really good progress they get a good idea of what’s going on and hopefully follow up at the unveiling.

Where are we on artwork for shirts? I plan on being at the space Friday 9-3 and can do anything that needs to be worked on.

I’ve made a design and shared it with a few people. I’m mobile so unable to post it at this moment but can later.

2 Likes

I cut the wheel blanks out of foam. For scale see picture. Is the glue that was used for the other pieces at the space? If not can someone glue the circles together. I am going to still work on a hub cap or cutting a recess with lug nuts.

I should have made extra, but I ran out of foam in the back. I put the band saw jig on the table if we need to cut more. I used a 8d 2 1/2 nail as the pivot point.

1 Like

Those look great! We can use the expanding foam as a glue, but I’ll also pick up some more regular glue for us to use. I did a couple of tests using a commercial foam sealer and also using glue to see how well both work for protecting the foam for painting. I left the samples on the bench near the front of the fire truck to dry, and will come in and do a paint test on them tomorrow (Thursday). We should be looking at putting on at least a coat of red either Thursday or Friday. I also cut some super-thin aluminum diamond plate for the recesses on the sides of the truck. I expect that those will be attached with white Gorilla glue or expanding foam, once the painting is done. I’ve got a few random automotive gauges I can stick in those panels, as well.

3 Likes