Lights on Garden Gazebo

Not sure where to post this little jewel, so going to leave it here.
@rustin.atkeisson @MAtherton @Sherry @Facilities
The garden gazebo all last year and until a handfull of days ago used to be lit up at night. It is pitch black out there now and hard to see a hand in front of a face let along the litany of tripping hazzard on the blacktop, sidewalk, and garden itself.:blush::+1:t4:

It appears as if the cord providing electricity to the lights has been cut/severed.:blush::+1:t4:

These lights provided a bit of security for those of us late nighters who use the gazebo and grill as well as helped us with light to do our gardening chores.:blush::+1:t4:

With the recent number of folks coming in and or trying to come in unauthorized It might also be seen as a deterrent.:blush::+1:t4:

The damaged cord has been rolled up and placed outside facilities door.

Possible to get a different/new cord in swift manner so light and security can be provided for all of our late night members
:blush::+1:t4:

2 Likes

Did it look like it might have been run over with a mower? This has happened before.

2 Likes

Id be willing to trench the electrical from the patio to the building if materials were provided

5 Likes

Yesā€¦ yes it did/does look as if it was ran over by a mower :blush::+1:t4:

3 Likes

Great idea Greg and thanks for volunteering your time.!!! I know a couple others who are willing to help with this process so you would not be alone.
How do we get this moving forward.
I would think safety and security of membership would be paramount :blush::+1:t4:

2 Likes

Something is odd about the way that cord was cut.

The cord is repairable, but this wouldnā€™t be the first time itā€™s been chomped up by a lawn mower.

This would definitely be a facilities discussion.

3 Likes

We would have to hard wire it in to bury it, wouldnā€™t we? It would be really nice to have it buried.

2 Likes

Form a committee , talk about it for 6 months, decide it has no funds, table discussion.

Someone fixes it in the mean time, gets banned.

It could happen.

1 Like

Nobody gets banned for replacing an extension cord.

Modifying the buildingā€™s electrical system without the express, clear permission from Facilities would be a serious violation of the rules, however. So it would depend on what ā€œfixingā€ happens.

We already have a committee and a lead for Facilities. We donā€™t need a new one.

4 Likes

Sounds like the problem is solved then.

Ā·Ā·Ā·

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2023, at 7:18 AM, Sherry Ibrahim via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| Sherry MakeICT Vice President
May 7 |

• | - |

BYoungers:

Someone fixes it in the mean time, gets banned

Nobody gets banned for replacing an extension cord.

Modifying the buildingā€™s electrical system without the express, clear permission from Facilities would be a serious violation of the rules, however. So it would depend on what ā€œfixingā€ happens.

We already have a committee and a lead for Facilities. We donā€™t need a new one.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yikes! I mowed the garden area last week (Tues) using a battery powered, push mower. You would think if I had run over a cord, it would have at a minimum killed the mower. That didnā€™t happen but given the timing I must have caused the damage. I will happily replace the cord or pay for the repair. Itā€™s the least I can do. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

As my own presently unrecognized Forgiveness Committee representative, I will absolve you of guilt for this transgression .

If preventing this from ever happening again is in your suggestions, that should suffice as your punishment.

Sorry, thatā€™s up to the Punishments Committee.

Crap, now I have transgressed.

Should be able to use direct bury wire for this project. Can tie into outlet box on side of building where cord was plugged in.

2 Likes

Conduitā€™s not very expensive though and would be nicer to hit conduit than wire if there is a future digging project.

1 Like

Should we get an electrician involvedā€¦ Is this something that we have to have the zoning people look at?

2 Likes

Obviously do it safely and correctly . Please donā€™t involve anymore control agencies than absolutely necessary.

It complicates and slows down an otherwise simple solution . PLUS , possibly increases cost for no good reason.

Sometimes, donā€™t ask, donā€™t tell , can be a proper strategy.

Don/t ask donā€™t tell is never a good idea with government agencies. We have to keep in good standing with them.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t an exposed extension cord laying on top of the ground, exposed to the elements and being used as a permanent power source, in violation of ā€œsomethingā€?

Good standing , yes, Subservient to unnecessary interference? Learn to be cautious and be self sufficient without drawing attention and unneeded delays to "common senseā€™ internal issues.

Fix the problem, before someone throws up an obstacle that is avoidable.

Be a goat, not a sheep.

1 Like

If we connected to main power, we need to involve an electrician. I canā€™t see why zoning would need to be included but the electrician would know if we needed a city permit (and if zoning were a problem the city permit would be likely to catch it).

Some time back I purchased a house with a well, and the sellers had to pay for a new well because existing well was too close to the septic tank so it didnā€™t pass inspection. That cost them an extra $1500 (was over twenty years ago). Donā€™t ask/donā€™t tell can backfire expensively.

The roof is a higher priority than electrical work, financially and practically. Perhaps folks can explore solar options for the gazebo to present to the next board after the roof is figured out - and we can see if that is a better option than hard wiring.

4 Likes

I used to be the camp director for Quivira Scout Ranch. Every week, we would remind leaders not to drive their trailers into the campsite. Most agreed to the rule and carried on.

Some, however, thought they knew better. They assumed that the rule was in place because of wear on the campground, or bad roads, or hazardous trailering from inexperienced drivers. So they did it anyway, often times claiming that I, the young camp director, was too green to know best.

But the truth was for a variety of those reasons combinedā€¦ AND some camp site water lines that would break when driven over. Could we have given site-specific instruction to each and every driver for each and every campsite? Maybe, but the general rule was much more easy to establish and enforce.

In short, if you think you know better, than ask to be an area assistant lead. If that area lead values your input and trusts your judgement, then you have a much wider range of authority and accountability that can contribute in a sensible way without waiting on red tape.

5 Likes