Lights on Garden Gazebo

It was predictable this thread would degrade and the solution to an easily remedied problem forgotten.

It is quite obvious, the attitude of leadership is

“ Sign up or shut up, we know better”

The easy remedy is a new extension cord…which is the plan.

Leadership likes ideas. Leadership gets tired of complaints. Especially complaints about needing to follows rules, policies, procedures. Nobody made up rules to hear people complain.

I thought looking into solar options sounded fun and Maker-y.

5 Likes

You claim that the hunt for the solution has degraded. It did, and it happened when you posted about your “Forgiveness Committee”. You beg for people to be goats, not sheep, but you showed up here acting like a troll. Stop it.

8 Likes

I totally agree with Doug! Enough said.

1 Like

You may see it that way, but that has not been the case in my experience. We can’t just let anyone with an idea and a hammer start making modifications as they see fit. We have had multiple issues in the past with well-meaning members making changes that cause issues. Yeah, committees can come off as bureaucratic and boring, but most are pretty informal and appreciate suggestions. Especially suggestions that come with a good explanation of why they are needed offers of assistance. We have a lot of great and talented people in our leadership and general membership, but everybody has limited time. Particularly when we get into changes that are relatively permanent and fall under the purview of government agencies, we have to make sure that things are done correctly. Suggesting on our public forum that we ignore government regulations does not seem particularly helpful to me.

In this instance we have a few options to remedy the problem. The easiest fix is to replace the extension cord, but this should not be considered a permanent solution. Ultimately we need to dig a trench (or use overhead cables) and run a proper circuit. This would require an electrician and a permit and will certainly be more costly and time consuming. Solar is another option, and there are off the shelf solutions for standalone lighting that would not require an electrician to install, but would lack the flexibility of a 120v circuit if people wanted to run other powered appliances at the gazebo.

Seems to me the reasonable next step would be to get quotes from electricians and research solar options to compare costs.

10 Likes

Your are as smart as you seem, thank you for spotting my ploy and giving me credit.

It’s plain to see different ideas with attempts at poor satire of existing attitudes around MakeICT are misunderstood

If light are needed, Most could agree.Yes No issue?

Extension cord, worst case solution but adequate if light not needed often? Underground better? Probably, doesn’t have to expensive.

Do we need to have battery backup and flashlights a available?

Follow building codes and safety standards, makes perfect sense to me.

Is this permanent location of Gazebo? Unknown

Will there be future power needs in near future? Probably yes.

Suggestion some forethought to Future expansion to save red tape, time, money and labor.

Have a contest to guess the day the “Gazebo Lights” come back on. Who will come the closest?

Side tangent

How difficult would it be to get analytical data on the number of “Post read “ to “post interactions” for this or any topics?

How many privacy issues do the forum admins deal with , if any, and does this question create one?

On the main page the data is available to anyone - “replies” and “views”

3 Likes

Thank you, that was nice especially when I been ornery.

1 Like

Facilites will work on getting a quote to do the install. I suspect $1500 is likely going to be close to the answer due to the trenching, especially if they do conduit. We would also want to ask them for an outlet in the gazebo.

As for Solar, I believe there is/was a small solar panel on the West face of the gazebo. But I think something happened to it and it stopped working. The last discussion on it was to install individual solar lights, which I think ended up being cost prohibitive. We can certainly look into it again, but as pointed out, that would really only cover lighting, so trenching in and adding the outlet is likely the best option.

Moderator, I would request that we close this issue.

7 Likes