Let's revisit the mandatory mask policy

Our workplace has dropped the mandate but encourages people who feel more comfortable with a mask on to continue wearing them. I keep a few at my desk for when the need arises, and when flu season hits I’ll wear one regularly both at work and at the makerspace.

This I do agree with I have not got sick all year. I have surrendered life as I knew it lol!
I have sat back and pondered what if the actions we take help eliminate more than just covid what if we radify the flu too! That would be awesome!

1 Like

That is an interesting thought, the actions taken to subdue one super contagious sneaky virus leads to a handful we have learned to ‘just deal with’ disappearing all together.

2 Likes

Couple thoughts:

1. Where is the mask policy? I can’t seem to find anything concrete on the forum or wiki so I’m wondering if it was just relying on the county mandate.
  2. Why are people ignoring the signs on the doors?

Before the vaccine became available the best defense was the mask by everybody. Now that the vaccine is widely available (for flu as well as Covid) the independent, self-responsible best choice is the vaccine. Those who “can’t or won’t” are relying on the inconvenience and discomfort of strangers to secure their own health and well being. Or if they “can’t or won’t” they can also self isolate and not participate in public events or gatherings. Even churches now are going mask free. I’m sure the last to go mask free will be big business in fear of law suits attacking their deep pockets.

The first communication about mask wearing in the building that I can find was posted out on the forum in June 2020 after our first known case of a member testing positive for COVID.

The 2020 FAQ page that underwent several revisions over the course of 2020 to keep people updated about what was going on at the building and was previously linked at the top of the public website was updated in July to reflect that masks were required inside the building. I believe there was some other information on the website alongside that, but the website has been revised and that information has been removed.

Signs have been up on the entrances and just inside the building for a very long time reminding folks that masks and social distancing are required.

Our October 2020 newsletter that was emailed to everyone included a reminder as well.

Many class descriptions, social media posts, and communications around re-orientation and new member orientation sessions included information about COVID safety at the space, as well as during the orientation sessions themselves.

It’s reasonably clear that we’ve communicated to folks that we ask them to wear a mask while they’re in the building and we haven’t, to my knowledge, communicated otherwise.

//Personal Opinion Follows//

This issue should be a simple one, but I’m afraid it’s so politicized and just nutso at this point, I personally struggle to have a civilized conversation about it. I totally get, support, and love that we’re all free to have different opinions about the issues. I just don’t think it’s the same thing to treat other people’s health and well being and that of their family as an issue to have an opinion about. It’s a real thing, with real consequences, and we should each care strongly about protecting one another.

Speaking for myself, the minor inconvenience and personal discomfort is well worth it to help reduce continued spread and, more importantly, continued mutation of the virus which has the potential to make the available vaccines less effective or ineffective altogether. I want to be able to look back at this time in history and feel confident that I did my part to help make sure every life that could be saved was, and every long-term illness that could be avoided was.

So, I’ll keep wearing my mask till the doctors and scientists recommend otherwise, not the politicians, and I’ll hope that others will be kind enough to do so to. As a community, I believe we’re only as strong and resilient as our compassion for other people. Also, there’s that whole Be Excellent to Each Other, the first rule of MakeICT, which is a pretty good motto to live and make by.

//End of Personal Opinion//

If enough folks think our current stance about COVID safety is unclear, let us know and we can add it to the agenda for clarification at the next Board Meeting coming up on May 20th. :writing_hand:

7 Likes

As Scott said, no one is actively enforcing the current mask mandate, so I’m not really sure what the point of this thread is.

I wear my mask when I’m around others in the space. If I’m the only one in a room, I take it off. Not really that big of a deal.

2 Likes

First off, I will admit to being one of those who is not abiding by the posted sign 100%. Basically, I wear my mask when I am in the hallway and when I am in a room with others. If I am in a room by alone, I do not. I also was one of those that Scott passed last night, though I did in fact have a mask with me. I was just running across the hall, and nobody was around at the time and I forgot to put it back on when I saw Scott walking down the hall.

I also agree that there has been ample opportunity for vaccinations and that there has to come a time where we as a society have to say that those who are concerned for their health should have been vaccinated, and therefore risk or not, life has to get back to normal. I certainly do not mean any disrespect to anyone who has lost loved ones from this pandemic. I realize how devastating it has been on many people in the country and world. I also realize that comparing it to the flu is very controversial, but as has been mentioned, we live with the risk of flu every year, and manage to get along just fine without wearing masks. Now I also will admit that in the past, passing by someone who was wearing a mask made me roll my eyes. I can’t promise that I won’t return to that mentality again, but at least for the time, I have learned to have more compassion for them. Well with the exception of those who are driving in their car with the windows up, and by themselves, and wearing a mask … I’m sorry, I can’t help but judge them.

I personally don’t see how a policy or wearing a mask on request would be beneficial at all. As Scott pointed out, that makes the person requesting it into the bad guy. Also causes hard feelings for the person being requested to put one on, as clearly they do not want to wear a mask. So I don’t think you can really make someone wear a mask unless it is a mandatory situation. At best, there would have to be a policy of mandatory masks when social distancing (as much as I am tired of that phrase) is not possible.

Anyway, I think this discussion is a good exercise. WE are the members (owners) of MakeICT, and the board needs to hear our thoughts. As pointed out, there technically is no COVID policy adopted by the board. The Government pretty much made that decision for us, as we opened our doors while under a full State/County/City mandate. So the board did not have a need to adopt a policy. Whatever the next move is, it will have to take a board decision to address it.

I agree that this discussion is a good exercise, and I hope my personal thoughts on the matter as expressed above don’t lead folks to believe otherwise, just to be totally clear.

I think one of the important things you’ve hit on here is that nobody wants to ‘be the bad guy’. We all just want to have fun and do cool stuff, which we are particularly gifted as a group at accomplishing on the regular! I find it can be really hard sometimes to speak up and ask someone to pull their mask up, particularly if you don’t know them. Also, it just gets old! I mean, who here isn’t suffering from some serious pandemic burnout. I know I am!

Anywho, keep the good discussion coming. :+1:

3 Likes

Do I want to wear one not really.
Will I yes.
Do I think the policy needs looked at again absolutely :100:.

Reasonable alternatives:
1.) Not require:but encouraged
2.) Required in gatherings of 2 or more if any one person wants to wear a mask.
If you don’t want to wear a mask and someone else does please give them the space or mask up.
There are a lot of people who are still scared of this let’s be sensitive to thier fears and make the space a welcoming place for all.
PLEASE DONT READ THESE AS THE NEW RULES JUST MY SUGGESTED OPINION

It’s not anecdotal. The data support this claim.

2 Likes

Cdc says we can get together if we keep it in small groups without any issues.

I said I don’t know anyone without issues! Lol
Just gonna leave this here!

1 Like

CDC says it is safe to get together in small groups if:

1. everyone in the group is vaccinated and more than 2 weeks past the final dose of vaccine
  2. you are all outdoors

just wanted to clarify.

3 Likes

This is a great discussion, thanks everyone.
My personal opinion is that wearing a mask in the space is not a big deal and should be done by everyone in the spirit of compromising personal convenience for the safety and well being of others. I’ve been doing it for over a year now in the hallways and workshops. It’s an important tool for fighting the spread of COVID. Here are my reasons for why we should all continue to do it.
COVID is not over. We are not declining in cases right now, since the mandates have been lifted in Sedg. County the rate of infection has climbed steadily.
Yes, the chance of bringing COVID into the space seems minimal, especially if you’re vaccinated, but it is not nill, and while you may be vaccinated we know that less than a quarter of Sedgwick County residents are.
This means that if you pass a person in the hall without their mask on you have a 3 in 4 chance that they have not been vaccinated. Couple this to the fact that Kansas has experienced a number of breakthrough events where vaccinated individuals became infected. It points to a situation in which relaxing the request for mask wearing presents a clear path for COVID to enter the building and spread. The numbers just do not support the assertion that COVID is over or that the danger of contracting and spreading it is gone.
Regarding the assertion that it cannot be a mandate unless it’s enforced. I do not wish to have punitive action attached to the request for mask wearing. We are adults and should be able to conduct ourselves in a way that is beneficial to each other.
Please wear your mask in the building. Official numbers are attached below if you’d like to see them.

Sedgwick County COVID Positive Numbers
https://sedgwickcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/7b2b4364a5fa4ba3a015d52450acfe0d
Sedgwick County Vaccination Numbers
https://sedgwickcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/7b2b4364a5fa4ba3a015d52450acfe0d
Take News Breakout Cases

8 Likes

I agree :100:. I’ve joined in the past year and the only reason I’m a member now is because I’ve felt that the board / membership as a whole has been taking decent precautions. All of science says it’s too early to relax at this moment.

6 Likes

Thank you everybody for your input. I’ve learn a few things. For one, my perspective, being a vaccinated retired guy who uses the space on weekday afternoons when no one else is there is different than a lot of you. I’m lucky to not be exposed to Covid protocols on a daily basis in the work force and I’m sure that changes your perspective. I do believe that vaccination is the best community defense and I’m stumped why more people aren’t getting it. Not getting the vaccine is as risky to the community as not masking.
I agree that the jury is still out on variants and vaccinated people being carriers and possible required boosters. The risk is not nil and never will be. We face risk every day driving our cars and even getting out of bed. At some point the risks become acceptable and manageable.
Lets then table this discussion. Like Patrick said, it’s still a raw and divisive issue and that was never my intent. Could we at least put it on the board itinerary in 60-90 days and again every 60-90 days as a discussion point? I would like to follow the rules and not make anyone uncomfortable but I feel pretty silly being vaccinated and the only person in the building or the room and being masked. I would happily carry one and put it on if someone else entered the room. What I was hoping for was someone to agree that that may be sensible.
And Patrick, thanks for your well written reply it enlightened me some on a different point of view. Lets go have a margarita sometime and talk about ceramics instead. I’d love to learn to throw again.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for having a civil discussion as a moderator I truly appreciate this.

3 Likes

There is some forward movement in finding a treatment for it

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/05/researchers-identify-protein-signature-in-severe-covid-19-cases/

1 Like

I love the fact that everyone here is very civil. I know we have several people at the space who are very venerable. It is probably better that we keep them on for a while. (I have also been guilty of taking it off when no one is around and putting it back on when I see someone). I know not everyone wants to get vaccinated, but if you know of anyone who is hesitant, you might try to make it easier for them. I bet if we got 60% shot we would be good enough.

5 Likes

I probably should leave this alone but We had an interesting observation this week end. We traveled to Brown, Nemaha and Doniphan county Ks for the Big Kansas Road trip. “Major” cities included Seneca, Sabetha, Hiawatha, and Troy. Their Covid rate and vaccination rate is roughly the same as Sedgwick county. Fewer than 10% of people we encountered were masked and no one held any expectation of any one being masked anywhere and social distancing was not observed. We attended indoor events, ate at hotel breakfast buffets and in indoor dining, and lots of outdoor events. I would not have gone if I hadn’t been vaccinated. What we found is an entirely different attitude, rural vs urban. We talked to some locals about it. They’re not scared, they are “independent, resilient and practical” Personally I think urban dwellers are influenced by the national media more and are influenced by large employer’s overabundance of caution for fear of litigation…
Just an observation and food for thought.

2 Likes