Interest in a class on Photography

I’ve heard from a few members they would be interested in classes on photography.

To start, I’m thinking of offering a class set with focus (yeah thats intended) on images for projects completed, or in process, at Make ICT

The class topics would be:
A. photography terminology, types of cameras & lenses, get to know your camera (~2 hrs)
B. basic lighting for taking that awesome project image (~2 hr)
C. how to set up a shot to maximize the final image quality (2+ hr hands on - bring a project and your camera kind of class)

Thoughts? Interest?

Thanks,
Mike

6 Likes

You already know I’m down!

I don’t remember when we talked whether you were going to differentiate classes by phone camera or (D)SLR.

Could you also throw in some photo post processing?

1 Like

I know Im interested.
We met on Maker Monday.

Currently in negotiation with my remote employer … to be in Atlanta. 4, 6 8 weeks? Still in discussions.

I have a lot of b&w darkroom experience. I own a dusty Canon SLR T7i that never gets used and Im thinking its good for videos of “Makers Building things”. So I do like the idea of group type class.

Ive taken lecture type class from the parks dept and only really beneffitted from the hands-on days. Which is harder for an instructor. So maybe keep class size small or go in with the idea that your more experienced but rusty students [like me] become teachers assistants… if we pair off and complete a shooting assignment. For that matter maybe I can skip the parts for the complete greenhorn.

We also have a Digital Image skills guy in the studio. I forget who. Bern meaning to reconnect. But forget who he is.

I’d be interested too! Sounds amazing. I assume it’s a BYO camera situation, right?

2 Likes

Setting up a video/ photo studio space would be a fun project. Who would I reach out to for exploring that idea?

1 Like

If members have a camera sure. If no camera I can bring some as well.

1 Like

Yep…. That was an oversight on my part. Thanks for catching that.

2 Likes

@Classroom_Management, @ladeana, and the Multimedia Committee which is meeting next Tuesday, January 23⋅7:00 – 8:00pm.

2 Likes

Thanks Brad. I’ll reach out to that group.

Mike

3 Likes

I always wanted to learn which end is up on a camera…lol…Last time I used a real camera, I think it was a 110 pocket instamatic.

2 Likes

Are we talking darkroom? The visual arts had some plans/equipment for that.

2 Likes

I think most interest is in digital photography. I wouldn’t rule out a darkroom effort but that seems a bit more equipment intensive.

Thanks,
Mike

2 Likes

What would you need other than a classroom to do digital photography? Computers with windows? Computers with Linux? Some particular software?

2 Likes

I’ve set a date for a phototgraphy class on March 6th 7PM. This first class will cover photography basics and hands on time taking images… A follow on class will cover image editing…

Hope the date / time works for you.

Mike

3 Likes

I had to move the date. Now set for Sunday Match 17 at 1PM. Also lowered the class cost to make it easier for folks. Now $10 for members. As this is a new class for Make ICT what iare good ways to get the word out?

Best,
Mike

2 Likes

We were seeing increased enrollment and interest in classes when they were promoted on the MakeICT Facebook page. @Communication @Classroom_Management can this be continued?

1 Like

I think our main FB volunteer has been sick but I will reach out and let them know the positive feedback. I’ll see what we can do about promoting things a bit more through that channel.
Thank you Gemma,

Serena Oden-Powers.

···

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 1:24 PM Gemma Blackburn via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| gemma MakeICT Member
March 1 |

• | - |

We were seeing increased enrollment and interest in classes when they were promoted on the MakeICT Facebook page. @Communication @Classroom_Management can this be continued?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

Many thanks!

···

Mike

1 Like

I had some interest but every other Sundays are family days.

I hope to hear how it went. And will watch for follow on.

I have a Canon EOS 7i. Lots of photo-microscopy [digital] and darkroom experience [Xray dev]. Lots of recording life [Navy travel] and lakeside wildlife experience. [We live between 2 lakes]
But i still barely know this camera.

Group experience is a faster way to become familiar. And Makers are the best peers.

I very much like the idea of recording Maker projects… both photo and video.

2 Likes