Interest in a class on Photography

Thanks Brad. I’ll reach out to that group.

Mike

3 Likes

I always wanted to learn which end is up on a camera…lol…Last time I used a real camera, I think it was a 110 pocket instamatic.

2 Likes

Are we talking darkroom? The visual arts had some plans/equipment for that.

2 Likes

I think most interest is in digital photography. I wouldn’t rule out a darkroom effort but that seems a bit more equipment intensive.

Thanks,
Mike

2 Likes

What would you need other than a classroom to do digital photography? Computers with windows? Computers with Linux? Some particular software?

2 Likes

I’ve set a date for a phototgraphy class on March 6th 7PM. This first class will cover photography basics and hands on time taking images… A follow on class will cover image editing…

Hope the date / time works for you.

Mike

3 Likes

I had to move the date. Now set for Sunday Match 17 at 1PM. Also lowered the class cost to make it easier for folks. Now $10 for members. As this is a new class for Make ICT what iare good ways to get the word out?

Best,
Mike

2 Likes

We were seeing increased enrollment and interest in classes when they were promoted on the MakeICT Facebook page. @Communication @Classroom_Management can this be continued?

1 Like

I think our main FB volunteer has been sick but I will reach out and let them know the positive feedback. I’ll see what we can do about promoting things a bit more through that channel.
Thank you Gemma,

Serena Oden-Powers.

···

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 1:24 PM Gemma Blackburn via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| gemma MakeICT Member
March 1 |

• | - |

We were seeing increased enrollment and interest in classes when they were promoted on the MakeICT Facebook page. @Communication @Classroom_Management can this be continued?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

Many thanks!

···

Mike

1 Like

I had some interest but every other Sundays are family days.

I hope to hear how it went. And will watch for follow on.

I have a Canon EOS 7i. Lots of photo-microscopy [digital] and darkroom experience [Xray dev]. Lots of recording life [Navy travel] and lakeside wildlife experience. [We live between 2 lakes]
But i still barely know this camera.

Group experience is a faster way to become familiar. And Makers are the best peers.

I very much like the idea of recording Maker projects… both photo and video.

2 Likes

Hi Tim,

The first class went pretty well but Brad asked so many questions it went way longer than I had planned. The 2 hr planned class went for 4 hrs. Haha. No complaints on my end.

My hope is to build up a group of folks interested in photography at Make ICT and eventually get some lights and space dedicated for making images. I picked “making images of our projects” as a beginning but I have a wide interest band so I’m open to other topics.

I’ve done a lot of microscopic imaging work for companies I’ve worked at in the past, but as I’ve retired I don’t have access to such equipment. Brad had specific interests in macro work for his needs so we spent a bit of time on that subject.

As I’m retired I have a flexible schedule. Let me know what times work best for you and we can plan around your schedule. I’ve set up classes such that all moneys collected will go into a fund to eventually buy some lighting equipment for Make ICT. For now I’m carting my personal equipment in for the classes.

Best,

···

Mike

5 Likes

I do better making it in on week nights. Weekends get full for me but Sunday night is good… every other week or so. I just have a hard time predicting when grandkids will come over.

1 Like

Good to know Tim. I’ll look at for a time in early April for a weeknight class.

···

Mike

1 Like

Mike, we met in fablab. Either a laser cutter class, or 3d printing. Im the person in the purple power wheelchair…

I introduce myself as Teya, explanations for that given in person to the curious and friendly.

1 Like

Great. I remember you. I don’t remember the specific class as I have taking quite a few of them since joining.

Mike

1 Like

I’m thinking Monday April 8th would work for my shedule. If we start at 7PM we should have enough time to cover some basics and then get some hands on. If that works then I’ll set it up.

Mike

Mike

I’m thinking Monday April 8th would work for my schedule. If we start at 7PM we should have enough time to cover some basics and then get some hands on. If that works… then I’ll set it up.

···

Mike
Mike

I just pencilled it in Monday Apr8, 7pm

I will have done my own camera refresher before then.
Tell me to change aperature or shutter speed and i may scratch my head for a while or consult the hivemind.
I tend to use auto settings and not know how to shoot near intense backlight [sun?] Or in the dark. Or other varietybI SHOULD know.

My microphograhy was either fairly well lit or darkfield [im a master at oblique lighting to reveal texture that even DIC misses].

So I was good at 2 settings. Fixed aperture and fixed shutter. Way too easy.

Now we have a fancy Canon. I liked my old Nikon better. But thisn is rated better for video vlogging. I want to know it.

And my focus will be on how to do a series of pics to show a maker’s project, start to finish. Maybe this will be an easy refresher. But I typically learn a lot from folks with more experience than me.

I want the the hard part of project recording to be keeping a syepwise record of a maker project.

Now if you need a material scientist to help to tell if your pearlite phase is prone to hydrogen embrittlement… oh wait, thats your arena too.

Peace

all set up in the event calendar for the 8TH!

Mike

2 Likes