Interest for a class on Digital Art?

Hey all, I have been wondering what you would like to learn specifically if you were to take a class on digital art. Most times I’ve mentioned what kind of art I do, I’ve gotten “hey I’d take a class on that!” in response, but what would you like to know?

In the past I have received questions either online or at events about:

-what kind of tablet I have and recommend (wired vs portable)
-what software I use to draw or animate
-what price points are available for both of these
-the basics of using a drawing program (pen, pencil, settings, canvas capabilities, dpi, sizes, etc)
-how to draw or animate a specific thing like eyes or faces (by both children and adults)

So what about you? How basic or advanced would you be willing to learn about? I know some of this info you could look up, but I know some would benefit those of you who like learning with an instructor. Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

If you would like to see my work for reference, you can see it here: www.instagram.com/r3mm13arts/
My normal portfolio still needs updating lol.

9 Likes

I’d be interested in this.

2 Likes

Let me know when you want to meet! email me mudbug58@gmail.com

Yes i would like to learn more about digital art programs!
Especially making art brushes,and digitally inking art ?
Programs illustrator and inkscape, Fusion 360.

Everything i do now is all vectored for laser, plasma, water jet, cutting!

I Have Skills to share Glass etching / carving, Stone Carving / Sandblasting, Fund raising Bricks,
Welding and Metal Fabricating, Jewelry Casting / Lapidary, the list goes on and on!

2 Likes

Hi again i looked at your instagram page. Very Nice Work!

2 Likes

Might be nice to do a hands on class. If there’s enough interest, perhaps MakeICT could purchase a few drawing tablets for instruction and general member use - like with the laptops.

4 Likes

I think that would be really cool! We have enough computers so I could put my services forward to make sure all if them are working and such since I’ve been down that road with my own a few times over the years lol. I believe XPPen is the one to go for currently as being cheaper but great quality. Refurbished tablets are also an option.

1 Like

I don’t know about how to /make/ brushes like people do for Procreate and such, but I do a lot of inking in Raster and now recently Vector (but I prefer raster because its fun lol, Vector is such a pain), and I can talk about tool settings and how to change them or download other brushes from people in Clip Studio Paint specifically. If I did a basics of digital art class, I can talk about a few different programs, but I have not used all of them out there. I can compile a list of programs, their pricing, and capabilities though and go over basic tools that pretty much every program has though. It really just depends on interest for me to be able to narrow down what is wanted by yall lol. And thank you! I just love digital art, though it took a lot of patience to get decent at it!

Wow, what a list! You should do some classes on your skills, I’d take a few!

1 Like

Ya, the XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro was the one I’d been eyeing… and it’s currently on sale for only $630. So, now may be the time!

3 Likes

I am interested in learning more about digital art, specifically what I can accomplish on my S22 ultra which has the note pen, the most I have really done is played around with the pen up app

2 Likes

I used PenUp the first few days on my portable Samsung tablet as well! But I initially bought it for Clip Studio Paint so I could continue to work while on trips. Unfortunately CSP on tablets and phones has a subscription payment for it, whereas CSP for the computer does not and is only just a one time fee. There are lots of free options out there though that are pretty capable. I’m just used to CSP from my wired tablet and I like the cloud feature to switch easily between PC and tablet.

2 Likes

Krita for digital painting (free) Nomad Sculpt (free, or $14) for digital clay sculpting are great on the Samsung Ultra 22.

2 Likes

Do any of these exist for just plugging into a laptop or desktop for the brains?

1 Like

Krita is available on the desktop also for free. I don’t know if Nomad has plans for pc… but I hope they do.

1 Like

Any wired tablet should be able to be plugged into a laptop or computer and an outlet for power, to my knowledge. The drivers are easily found on the websites for the tablets.

2 Likes

Oh yeah… the "how to animate a pic or just the eyes. Im in…

1 Like

Sounds interesting. I would need to start with the basics, as in Basic’s for Dummies’, I’m not that tech savvy at all…

3 Likes

Hello, so I am working on illustrations for a book. But I want to combine drawings by hand and AI drawings. I would like to know which apps to use. Learn about other options and shortcuts.
Thank you

1 Like

A book sounds neat! However I am staunchly against AI usage in art so I am not the person to ask about that specifically.

2 Likes

So much harder, but man the results are so much more useful.

I know how to get results you want out of AI, but I’m also very opposed to AI “art” Very useful for initial visualization but not for final product.

Keep in mind if you intend to do use AI “art” in a product you intend to sell, the laws surrounding copyright are still very much up in the air, and you run the risk of loosing your rights to your own work by including AI content.

3 Likes

That’s true, the vectors are indeed more work for me but the continuation of quality regardless of size has been invaluable for me. With time I’m sure it will get easier! After all, it took a metric ton of patience to get better at the whole digital art stuff in the first place lol

1 Like