Information Technology Workshop

Hello, I’m a new member and I’ve been working in the information technology field for the last twenty years. Would anyone be interested in a general technology workshop and discussion group? It would be a couple hours where anyone can bring their technology, computer, smartphones, internet, etc., questions and discussions to some experienced IT folks. Even if I don’t have the answers, chances are I can point you in the right direction. I’d also enjoy it if other knowledgeable folks would be willing to come share their expertise and experience!

I’m thinking about holding an initial workshop next week on a night where we can lock down one of the classrooms. Anyone interested? Anyone need anything looked at?

9 Likes

When you have the dates and times locked down, tell me when and I can add it to the calendar.

3 Likes

Once you pick and date and time, I’ll also advertise this in the welcome center. Our less tech-savvy members may need a less digital notice about this opportunity.

3 Likes

I spoke with Ladeana and I think next Wednesday, the 4th from 6 to 8 pm is a good time to use one of the classrooms. I might post a flyer in the facility sometime this week as well to let members volunteer and describe their areas of knowledge - will have more before the end of this week.

2 Likes

oops, yes, please go ahead and advertise this in the welcome center without delay. I’ll come by with the extra signup sheet later!

1 Like

There are also some computers that are available across from the electronics area that people can pick up to use. (Along with mice and power cords.) You should plug them in as most of the batteries won’t hold a charge.

1 Like

Hello folks, if you’re interested in attending next Wednesday as a volunteer, participant, or both, please take a look at the volunteer roster and information sheet:

2 Likes

One subject I’ll be doing a short talk on will be internet safety. Especially if you have questions.

2 Likes

The presentation for the Internet Safety Lecture & Discussion that I’ll be giving at 7 PM.

1 Like

Folks, we are in Classrooom 3 tonight starting at 6 pm. I’ll be presenting a short talk on internet safety around 7 pm.

2 Likes

I was glad to have stumbled upon your meeting… but that’s exactly what happened:findingit on accident. I’d like to attend again abit more prepared (i.e. with loads of problems for you to solve for me while I eat free cookies) if you have another such session!

2 Likes

I only just now found out about this, but I also had a class last night so I would have sadly missed it. Just wanted to pop in and say that I would love to come to the next one!!! I absolutely love ideas like this where we can all benefit and learn from others’ expertise :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Agree with r3mm13. I would love to have attended, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to, this time.

I’m sure I’ll host another one soon, likely on a different day of the week so we can catch people with different schedules.

4 Likes

Im interested too, in another presentation. Particularly around safe internetting, and perhaps help clear up what is a truly safe VPN. I do not know whom to trust, and am willing to pay a small fee, if its really private. Unlike Verizons, which is $4/mo but it seems, verizon still logs your traffic. Not my favorite vpn.

Im also trying to think of Other things ive tried to do on my phone but struck out. Some things like office 365 can be puzzling as their paradigm shifted to cloud only in the last year. Im required to keep secure document programs for my corporate and defense clients. [Small time consultant].

I usually go into Verizon or best buy when my phone gets a [software] switch changed accidentally. But verizon now charges for this. I have not had to pay yet, but i try to keep a running list of technical shortcomings and embarrassments to ask somebody about.
Oh and btw, i have 6 grown kids, so oftentimes they can help. 2 of them work in computers directly, the others are all proficient. 2 have apple, 4 android… But not the last time when verizon had to re-charter my phone on their [network]. That scene started when one contact and only one contact in my address list… couod not be contacted. A real puzzle. … [different isp?..rural]

It was family that advised my logging off of FB messenger and Whatsapp. We are now a Discord located family grp. We are not public on Discord. Just our big family.

It looks like the facility is clear this Friday or next Wednesday - any strong preferences? If not, I’ll get another event on the calendar later tonight.

1 Like

Oh and always feel free to use the “Request a Class” tool on the main MakeICT site. We’re not an established class, but it’s handy to know.

1 Like

I can do a Friday class!

FYI there is a ‘class’ posted on the schedule, but I will be hosting an open IT workshop on Friday, Oct. 20th. Starts at 6:30pm.

2 Likes

Do you have a description for me to add? I put an hour down… I can’t remember what was the duration on that?