I'm new, my name is Heather New

Hello Fellow Makers,

Here is a little about me. I love collaborating, brainstorming and coming up with creative solutions to problems. I code websites for a living and consider design a lifestyle as it shapes every aspect of our lives.

I have quite a bit of experience in design, vinyl cutting, t-shirt screen printing, and wood working. I’m looking to expand my knowledge in laser cutting, 3D printing, lathe and advanced wood working techniques, CNC, etc.

I tend to be quiet until spoken to, my brows furrow and my forefinger rubs my forehead when I’m thinking.

If you get stuck or need help translating sketches into the digital world, I’m your gal.

10 Likes

Welcome Heather!

You might check with Jimmy for classes on the Tormac, but it would be worth getting familiar with Fusion360 for the rest of the machines. The plasma cnc, shop bot, and black mini mill can all be run with files exported from Fusion360.

I am working on a class for the big Logan lathe and Craftsman lathe and should have something posted on the calendar soon but the class will be limited to 2 people at a time for now.

3 Likes

I’ll be looking forward to the lathe training!

I did a bit of research on Fusion 360 and it seems like some nice software, I’m happy it’s available for Mac as well as it having applications for a variety of machines. Thinking in the 3-d space on the computer is definitely new to me but I’m pretty excited about it.

1 Like

I think of 3d space as 2… plus 1 space!

Typically you pick a 2d space, make a shape and then extend it into 3d. So 2… plus 1.

1 Like

That’s clear as mud :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just curious on your web coding … can you elaborate on that? Is that static html/css pages, or web-based applications? Do you do just front-end programming, or back-end as well? What languages and platforms do you generally work with?

As far as Fusion 360 goes … Jimmy and I are here every Tuesday night, we would be happy to help in any way we can.

1 Like

I’m a digital developer with a graphic design degree, I do mostly front end development at work but also do design stuff on the side as a hobby. I’m very comfortable in adobe design programs photoshop, illustrator, and dreamweaver. I can build either static pages, or create content management systems (99% times on wordpress but I started in joomla). The languages I’m comfortable with are html, css, php, jquery. (lately I’ve been adding in sass and less) Javascript is cool too but I find it challenging to write it by hand, I generally try to find existing solutions and modify them. I’m most proud of how I’ve built highly customized user friendly dashboards in wordpress for non-coders to update and change content quickly and easily while maintaining the functionality, branding and aesthetics of the website.

I will be tinkering around with Fusion360 soon to see where I get stuck. I’m most curious about the limitations and capabilities of each machine and how that dictates the design for expected outcomes. I’m sure a lot of that will come with experimenting, reading and asking others (Questions like what works? what doesn’t? what is the smallest point that will cut? etc. )

2 Likes

Welcome Heather!
Hope to see you looking forward to meeting you.
Angel

2 Likes

Thank you, looking forward to meeting you ammejia, what areas are you into at the makerspace?

1 Like

Well Heather I’ve been out for almost a month now for medical reasons but I’m getting better and hopefully will be in full swing next month. My best spots are laser cutter. Ceramics. Sewing hopefully I can do a bit more in woodshop and metal shop. I saw some of your work amazing hope I get a chance to work on a project with you sometime.

2 Likes

Hi Heather! I am brand new here and read your post while poking around. :slight_smile: I draw, and have needed to translate my drawings into digital drawings on several occasions. Hope to meet you eventually, and I’ll remember your name for future reference!

2 Likes

Hey Heather,

Registration for the metal lathe class is up:

2 Likes

Ohh, I did not get registered in time, I just got back from vaca. Is it full or did I just miss the cut off date? @rustin.atkeisson anyway I can still get in on this?

The class filled up pretty quick because I limited the size to 2 people. Future classes might be opened up to more people, but I’m keeping it to 2 for now to make it a bit easier to keep people safe on the lathes. It would take having an assistant to open the class to 4 people.

I’ll see if I can get another class scheduled and PM you when the class is up.

1 Like

Okay, that makes sense, thanks @rustin.atkeisson