I need help with a motherboard

I have a motherboard that needs the charging port resoldred in. I’ve had 3 people try with lil to no luck. I have the part if someone has the time. This is for my stepson.

1 Like

Do you have a picture of the board and the part that needs replaced? Perhaps we could multi-task and help out @W0RDR at the same time.

3 Likes

Send us a picture. I’d be happy to help, if i feel it’s within my abilities - and I’m pretty darned good at conventional soldering.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

It would be awesome if there was a class or someone just willing to teach a few of us how to solder!!

1 Like

I’ve had a lot going on, otherwise I would. Kez talked about a soldering class. Knowing her it will be Christmas themed.

My schedule is starting to look consistent agian as soon as a certain puppy learns to take her business outside I’ll be at the space a little more.

1 Like

1 Like

That power connector looks like it has massive grounding planes, so will require more power to remove and replace. It might even require two people applying soldering irons to both sides of the board to get enough heat quickly enough to avoid damaging the circuit board or adjacent components.

Definitely calls for technique that wouldn’t be covered in an introductory soldering class.

2 Likes

I think that’s “doable”, but it’s not “basic”. Ideally, a vacuum solder extractor would be used, however, I think with some solder wick and patience it could be done. I wouldn’t be willing to provide a guarantee it wouldn’t get damaged.

If you want it done right, and by someone who would guaranteed it, I’d take it to “You Break, I Fix” or “Ribbit”. If it were my own, and there wasn’t anything irreplaceable on the computer, I’d give it a try.

1 Like

If you’ve got some time next week I could take a shot at it. I agree that it won’t be the easiest thing to remove, but it can be done. Cutting off the legs of the old part and removing them individually helps a lot if you can’t heat it up enough to melt the solder in all the holes simultaneously. A hot plate to pre-heat would probably be the more professional option.

4 Likes

Summary: Solder the pins and ground legs together with bits of wire so as to distribute heat evenly.

1 Like