I come in peace

As you read this I ask that you remember that I’m new and have no “skin in the game” with anything that’s happened in the past. I joined to garden, meet people, develop friendships and eventually branch out to “making”. Having moved to Wichita recently I couldn’t think of a better way to grow personally. The past couple of weeks have been an eye opening experience on this forum. It’s one thing to be passionate about a cause or interest and quite another to spew venom and hatred towards others who belong to this amazing bunch we call the human race! Perhaps I misunderstood in that I thought the forum was to showcase really cool things that have been made or show/learn how the pollinator garden is helping our eco system or look at upcoming classes, for example. Though I’m certain that not all 500 (?) members participate in the hatred posted on the forum, it’s enough that I’ve made the decision to not renew my membership when it expires. I’m only one and it’s no great loss but at least maybe think about your words when you post so others don’t leave. At the end of the day we’re all a part of this God given world and maybe we can calm ourselves in the beauty of nature and release our anger in a different way. This is my only post, no other comments…thank you!
Lesley

8 Likes

You have my apologies for being exposed to this Lesley, and unfortunately you are not only one, there has been a steady stream of “lost” members due to this issue. I really hope that things improve enough for you to start enjoying the potential you envisioned the Space to be.

1 Like

There are only about 200-250 actively using members who come into the space. There are around 175 that use the forum and about 75 super active members on the forum and that use the space daily or weekly. These were rough numbers given by the space when asked.

If you come to the space every now and again you don’t see a lot of this. But the forum is a good indication of what happens at the space on the daily(and before the mods flag and remove this tell me with 50% certainty its not) The majority of the members just want this to be a care free space, you come, you make, you leave with friends. Simple to the point.

This is not how the space is and haven’t been for years Ive been told by co-founders and longtime members. Its a steady decline, While the space is actively growing in membership over years. It also losses “Good people” trying to do good things because they are stoned walled. They will always reference they cant find enough people or “burn out” but its not because of the job is to demanding or hard. Its the behind the scene that people don’t want to deal with. I’ve never heard a single Lead say “i spend to much of my own time fixing this place up” its “The drama backstabing,hiding and standing on your toes”

Thank you for posting your thoughts about the space but just like most business the bad is “hidden” so you pay money for the membership and then once your in you see whats going on. I can send you a list of free or low cost community gardens local to your area if you would like. I think there are over 40? in the Wichita area that are community based.

Any bad review is moved to “inner workings” where only good standing members for a few months can see.

3 Likes

Many, if not most leads do spend more time than most people realize fixing things that are broken and not reported, finding things that wandered off, replacing things that disappear, and cleaning up after people who must think their Mother works here.

But, they often don’t complain about any of it because complaining doesn’t inspire people the way setting a good example, and thanking members for their assistance does.

But it does affect people to hear nothing but complaining. Several people that have been leads have passed the baton to the next person precisely because of hearing so much negativity that they worry about it affecting their mental health and ability to function when away from the space.

9 Likes

I just meant every lead Ive talked to have enjoyed volunteering their time and some times money to the space to make it better. This may not always be the case with past leads but i feel like every current lead minus james seymore as Ive never met him enjoyed what they did.

1 Like

It’s been arguments that weren’t going towards resolving anything and that were about ‘inside baseball’ that generally moved (or closed).

We don’t control reviews on Google maps where 123 reviews give us 4.8/5.0 stars.

On Facebook 78 reviews give us 4.9/5.0

You might be mistaking a few vocal complainers as representing the entire membership and, of course I might be mistaking hugely positive reviews as representing the entire public.

7 Likes

Typically the opposite is present where more people leave bad reviews than good ones, which is great to see as i think most of the reviews reflect that using the space and what you have access to is awesome and what reviews should be about, no one is arguing that I’m simply stating you cant criticize or say anything negative or it’s flagged or removed by a mod on the forums in most cases.

I think way, way too much time is focused on things that are not making. I totally love your attitude! I’m super glad you joined! If I see you around the space, I will try and say Hi… but more likely I will just ask “Whatcha making?”

6 Likes

I am an Area Lead and I don’t believe we’ve met. I do enjoy volunteering and giving back to what I think is an amazing place. In fact, that’s the sole reason I’m a Lead. I felt I should accept the position so the previous Lead could have a break from a multi-year role. I’m sure there are much more knowledgeable people that would be a better fit than me. I’d be happy to have someone beside Christian and Chris regularly volunteer.

For me personally, it is the infighting that I read on the forum that I find disturbing. In person almost everyone is friendly and willing to help or answer questions for projects.

9 Likes

Youre right i havnt met you, i have it stuck in my head that Christian is the lead for some reason, no idea why.

2 Likes

lol. Probably because he carries so much of the load! I wouldn’t be able to be the Lead without him.

5 Likes

Thank You for pointing out the basic truth, Life is what you make of it!

Good Luck! Take a classin making something round from a piece of wood.

John

4 Likes

I have to agree totally far too much time is devoted to things that are not making and I have said this often.
I have to make another comment here that illustrates what I said earlier about flagging being used as censorship. As I replied to this post i received this note…

This post has already been flagged for moderator attention. Are you sure you wish to reply to it? Replies to negative content tend to encourage more negative behavior.

I fail to see anything negative in LaDeana’s post nor anything that is worthy of being flagged.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it takes 1 flag to add that notice 3 flags to hide the content and 12 flags to remove it until a moderator can address it. If a group of people decided to target someone there’s little the moderators can do but try to keep up.

Or in your case when you flag something its instantly removed as the only trust level 4 member

During all the election stuff I only flagged 3 post and I could have flagged several more.

All 3 called me names or were personal attacks.

I might not be the most eloquent writer and I stick to the points but not once did I attack an individual by name calling. I always gave a different point of view and asked questions.

I know I’m not everyone’s cup of tea and I don’t expect to be.

3 Likes

Actually it’s not a decline.

It’s cyclical. The membership is growing so it’s louder and louder.

We are all peers here. I pay dues, I expect no special treatment. I’ve watched arguments go down. It’s cray cray sometimes.

Also saw a sweet table someone made.
Saw a wood technique I tried on leather and failed.
May have to work in textiles for a project I have.
And I’m eagerly awaiting the next hamm class.

It’s super easy to focus on the few loud people and miss the quiet dude with a homemade draw it he made himself.

How is Scott anyway?

9 Likes

Yes, there are people abusing the flagging system.

And the moderators are doing the best to both address individual messages and to discuss behind the scenes how to address valid issues with the system of moderation and to gather input from membership about what to change going forward. Expect an announcement soon.

It is definitely best to avoid replying to a flagged message, because it potentially complicates things. Unfortunately members of the forum that primarily interact via email don’t know what’s been flagged. And, it does also mean that abusing the flagging system is going to lead to the exact situation you experienced.

3 Likes

Actually that’s not a comprehensive description of the flagging/moderation system in Discourse. It was written by a ‘contributor’.

A newer and more comprehensive documentation of the system, that is from a “team” source is here:

2 Likes

Please dont judge the many based on the few. Its so easy to get caught up in the negative. Good news will not make it across the street but bad news seems to circle the globe a few times. This is not how it should be.

7 Likes