I come in peace

I’ve been coming to MakeICT for 10 years, a member for 7-8, on the board for 3 years… here are the things that are always true:

1. Lots of people are quietly making awesome things.
  2. I always feel better when I go to the space and make something.
  3. I can always find a person who needs help, and when I help them they are deeply appreciative.
  4. Not all my ideas/calls for help get supported. But some do. And that’s okay because really, I’m human, not all my ideas will be great.
  5. For every small decision that gets made, someone predicts that it will lead to the imminent downfall of MakeICT.
  6. For every small decision that is NOT made, someone predicts that we could have been the greatest makerspace ever, dominating the universe, but we missed a huge opportunity and now should just brace ourselves for the imminent downfall of MakeICT.
  7. None of the downfall or universal dominance predictions have come true.
  8. I can, and have, burnt myself out doing too much.
  9. People were accepting when I said “I can’t do that” and set my limits. They were frustrated when I said “I’ll get to it!” and didn’t accept help.
  10. Passion is what runs this place. If I’m going to appreciate the passion, I have to appreciate that it gets vocal sometimes. We all want the same thing.

:v:

17 Likes

Lol I love the phrase “someone could sue us and shut us down”

It’s some nasty drama, it exists in most volunteer organizations.

Tell you what OP, come hang out with me in electronics, kez and I can take you though for one on one my basic electronics class. She wants to do a run through real time to learn to teach the class. You’d be helping us out, and the Electronics lab is fairly drama free AFAIK.

Honestly, you get this when you have very passionate people from many different backgrounds come together and they haven’t different opinions. Since I helped start this organization it’s doom has been prophesized every year. It’s only come close to crashing twice, once was my fault on take off, the other was moving during COVID it got a little dicy there but the team pulled some out of the box thinking and we made it.

The Makerspace is strong. Full of people turning bowls, making knives, printing shirts, programming Arduino, or making quilts.

Y’all go makes something. I have to take care of the yard before it gets too hot today. I need to bend another past prez about a remote control lawnmower I think…

9 Likes

The mod team here should make a bot that autoreplies one of your post any time someone makes a nasty comment or unnecessarily reports someone. They would save so much time and we would all be making s’mores together by Friday.
You’re like a dove that flies in and plays harp music. Ty!

3 Likes

I dont understand how you perceiving someone as passive aggressive means that they should just tolerate abuse. They have every right to flag posts for personal attacks as you and I do.

7 Likes

Sounds like fun to me. I definitely would love to run through a basic class!!