Holidays

Ok… I know this is a crazy idea… how about planning next year’s a year in advance? (It could be super awsome!)

1 Like

I’m all for it we need a committee and a sign up sheet

1 Like

We’d talked about a pumpkin carving contest last year. Would be cool to do one this year. Just post pics on the forum! Probably won’t be prizes. Unless we can think of something? 3D printed trophy maybe? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pssh, I’ll donate $10 to the prize pool if someone can organize a thing.

1 Like

It be cool to line the sidewalks with pumpkins for the day.

Wonder if a pumpkin patch is something we can do as a fundraiser in the future.

We still have a pair of Filimin Friendship Lamps that were donated by John Harrison.

3 Likes

I think we should make it members only.

No cheaters/uploading images of others’ work.

It has to be an original creation made this month.

Anything goes. Lighting effects, anamatronics, etc all allowed. Or just good old fashioned carving. Whatever is cool! But the jack o lantern has to be the main attraction in your piece.

I don’t care about prizes one way or the other. But if we want we certainly can. What do you guys think?

Well need judges too. Or we can allow members to vote. That would be cool.

1 Like

We can create a FB post and ask people to like their favorite picture. We could even do free membership as the rewards 1st 3months, 2nd 2 months, 3rd 1month.

We’ve done Halloween contests in the past, usually by creating a Facebook event, asking people to post pictures or videos of their projects and using “Likes” to score them. A benefit of using Likes is that it drives visitors to our Facebook and gives us exposure. A drawback is that it becomes a popularity contest rather than a project contest.

In 2015 we had in-person judging, and in 2016 and 2017 I don’t think we had a contest but did have a party at the makerspace. I believe all of these were open to the public which gave us a lot of exposure (except for that first one) and some really cool submissions.

1 Like

I’m down for all the social distancing, good vibes, free marketing we can get. Give me guidelines and I’ll do the do. We could have Community Favorite and judges. So we get the best of both worlds. Judges do first second and third, community favorite also gets a prize. Each Judge can also pick an honorable mention. Let’s have this ready to Go Thursday so I can get it published.

1 Like

I’m down for competition.

2 Likes

I like that! So we’re talking any Halloween thing. Could be a costume, decoration, Jack o Lantern, whatever. I think that’s the best!

2 Likes

I have a good friend who makes his house a haunted maze every Halloween. It’s all anamatronics and it’s incredible! He builds everything himself. I’ve seen some of the new additions this year and they’re awesome. Its free but they take donations for whatever charity they choose. It’s called Romesburg Haunted Maze.

Here’s a YouTube channel Johnnie uploads to occasionally.https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1j6_gFx81hQ

And the kwch coverage last year https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Wheres-Shane-Romesburg-Haunted-Maze-563772911.html

Video isn’t great.

They were my next door neighbors growing up.

3 Likes

Would anyone want to help me write the rules? Who should our judges be?

2 Likes

Would like to help with rules let me know when you would like to meet

2 Likes

We can talk about it as we sew and maybe collaborate on a google document as we have time. Sound reasonable? @jpalschauhan and @kthutch is membership a good prize? Using gift cards? 1st 3 months 2nd 2 months 3rd 1 month Crowd favorite 2months 3 honorable mentions something 3Dprinted $200 in membership fine?

2 Likes

Here’s what have so far:

Franken’ Pumpkin Contest

MakeICT invites it’s members and the community of Wichita and beyond to use their DIY skills in a Franken’ Pumpkin Contest. So don’t just carve those pumpkins! We want to see wooden legs, interactivity driven by arduino, or laser additions. Your pumpkin doesn’t have to be pumpkin at all fabric, 3Dprinted, or even ink on paper. We just want to see your spookie creations.

You can add to the document here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wo5pHRYnxgtDK6GiewYZDQS5nstmkaMOF21yuPBISuE/edit?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Who wants to judge? Also need to add the legalease.

If we don’t get any judges ill volunteer

2 Likes