Holidays

I know its to soon for Christmas but not too soon to start thinking about it or other holidays
Would like to see if Make ICT every thought about doing pot luck dinners for holidays or actual the weekend before maybe.
Even a baking social event cakes cookies ect ect bake sale
What about Trunk or Treat now that we have a parking lot,
even a spook house,
or Halloween theme carnival!

Just a few ideas …idk

2 Likes

Halloween used to be a big Holiday at MakeICT. In the last few years, we really haven’t had a good organizer for it. Sometimes we have had dinners around the holiday time… I am usually gone… but I know they are very appreciated.

2 Likes

Halloween is my favorite holiday. It’s the holiday of cosplay and horror movies. Candy and hot apple cider.

Pagans had Thanksgiving in September. The second harvest festival, Halloween was the final harvest festival.

Initially, Halloween at MakeICT had a contest. Where you would submit Halloween things you made. There were different categories for costumes and decorations and such.

Thanksgiving at MakeICT has always been about community. Usually someone has a gathering for people with nowhere else to go.

Christmas has seen a few events over the years. We have had toy drives where the woodshop makes dozens of toys to donate, holiday dinners and even secret santas. I try to put a post out there that is a “giftbuying guide for your electronics nerd” where I find suff on Amazon that an electronics maker would enjoy.

I also know what it takes to plan these things. I know that if you want a super successful Halloween event you should have your kickoff party this week. It takes time to plan these things. If you want to have a successful contest you are behind the curve. I’ve never planned a haunted house, but I would give that a way longer lead time.

Events like this bring the community together. Makes us very strong. It also brings people in. People get curious and come see us. We usually have a surge of new people after events like this.

4 Likes

That would be awesome James it might be too late for community outreach but thier is always next year also trunk or treat would not take to much to get together and give good exposure

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to deter or encourage. Just stating facts based on past data points.

1 Like

Sorry James if I came across like that I think your input is awesome.

Where would we start planning a trunk or treat?
Would this fall under a committee?

I am interested in decorating my vehicle and buying some candy to pass out.

We could even do a competition if everyone likes for best decorating (just a suggestion not required)

We could set up some signs I got some battery operated red fairy lights we could put around them although > suspect it will be daytime/evening

1 Like

It might be difficult to plan that stuff right now. Usually the forum is a good place to start and then just being at the space and talking with folks and sharing your vision, getting others on board. That’s how most group projects seem to form up. We did clean up day BBQ events, open streets, venture crew, magic wheelchair, etc like that. Those were all the things I was involved with. I’m sure there were more but I think it’s just being willing to make it happen.

I really miss this stuff btw guys.

2 Likes

I was thinking the trunk or treat might be a good idea since it is outside might be a way to introduce ourselves to neighborhood

1 Like

I think if we set it up where families can drive thru to help with social distancing that would be best. Maybe make packages to hand out to limit contact.

1 Like

Super idea Frank. I think we should have plenty of time to plan something like that. I think you should join with the Community/Events/Special Projects team to make that happen. @Paula can you get Frank in touch with whoever is on that team?

2 Likes

Just leaving this here to see what happens

https://youtu.be/il6eAKfSSoE

2 Likes

I have a huge roll of donated cheese cloth at the space.

1 Like

I think there are a bunch of PVC elbows in the garage

1 Like

I would like to do this is there a poll feature or a sign up feature here?
Would like to see how many can attend and decorate thier vehicle and also would need candy and small toys for trick or treat buckets

1 Like

When you write a post there is a little gear icon in the top right where you see the formatting options. That gear brings up the poll creation stuff.

I think it sounds fun but I have plans for Halloween. I hope you get it going though! I bet the neighborhood kids will love it and it’ll probably go a long way to building good will with the neighborhood! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like
  • Decorate car
  • Bring Candy
  • Bring Makery Things

0 voters

1 Like

I plan to do all three
Also going to pick up some small toys like bubbles and puzzles from Amazon

1 Like

I’ll see if I can set it up to let you check all.

Hmmm… if I can find some balloons… maybe I will make balloon animals… well at least the ones I know how to make…

2 Likes