Grow Lights

I’m considering getting some grow lights for seed starting to donate to the Garden, and maybe to also keep in my own home. Do you guys have any recommendations about what I should look for? These seem to be pretty popular on Amazon.

Do you think this is a safe choice?

3 Likes

I use these, But Barrina has many different configurations.

2 Likes

Those look like they’re designed to offer house plants a bit more light. I don’t think they would be good for seed starting. You want a rig that will hang above them and be adjustable as they grow, such as the link above.

3 Likes

Do you think the 6 pack of 2ft lights would be good enough to use on that shelving in the boiler room? I know the 4ft is technically a better deal, but I feel like 2ft will be more versatile for the space if we ever need to rearrange.

1 Like

Actually, I have tried the lights Bee was looking at.

My experience , If you have a couple plants in a dark corner and the plants will thrive with minimal light, they works in a pinch. I would not recommend for any other purpose. The give off less light than you imagine.

4 Likes

I figured it was probably meant for low light house plants anyway. Still could be useful for apartment living

2 Likes

Glad you want to help, Bee! 4 foot would be best for the rack we are using in the boiler room. I plan on bringing my light down it is 2 feet by 4 feet, but we will need more light in my opinion. The lights Bill linked to look awesome and somewhat professional. Maybe we could split the purchase between members of garden comittee?
@Sherry

3 Likes

That would be nice, even if 5 people wanted to split it would only be $20 for each. But I’m willing to contribute more. If I put $50 forward, 5 other people would only have to contribute $10 each.

2 Likes

I think this sounds like a great idea and I’ll contribute too but let me get with Gary first so we can organize this as targeted donations to the Garden Area.

My only question before we decide for certain is how do these plug in? Can you chain them so you don’t need six separate plugs? That space has four outlets I believe

2 Likes

I’m down to contribute.

3 Likes

Looks like in the kit you can connect multiple together

@BYoungers can you verify this?

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely and that is exactly their function. They blend in home decor very easily.

2 Likes

It’s a bulk item in my case. On a 15 amp circuit, i would not daisy chain more the 3. The power cords start getting warm and shortens the life of the lamp.

Just something to know, I run more than 75 and had to do some electrical upgrades from outdated. Cost of the future.

3 Likes

It sounds like we would just need to chain a couple of lamps together if we have 4 outlets available

1 Like

Did You not know, Jesse covered the lights, I had the heatpad.

I’m sorry but It’s understandable.

Follow Jesse On this. Maybe he was unaware.

Hey Jesse, Bee wants to help. two more we got a commitee. We get to level up. I’m pllaying thiis like a game. LOL

2 Likes

I think we think by March we might need more than just Jesse’s light. We will have enough people that checking on the seedlings every day will become a lot more manageable.

2 Likes

Yes I knew, he had mentioned we might need more light though. He has previously responded to this forum so he is following it.

1 Like

Just FYI. Seedlings can be started in trays ASAP and transferred afterwards. They won’t need a ton of light for the first couple of weeks–just warmth and a damp environment. The earlier you get started, the better.

3 Likes

Sean, We don’t know each other. We seem to have the same goal. Success and happy Members.

I respectfully disagree with the technique you suggest for the crops we expect.

I never went to college, But I have over 40 years Experience as a professional in the industry. I can be mistaken, no doubt.

Obviously different everyone follows techniques what works for them in whatever circumstances they are presented with.

I’m assisting Jesse on seed starting in Boiler Room. I want everyone on same page.

I was one of the NPC’s. I am aware now. lol

Here is my grow rack i use led lights off amazon i think like 8 comes in a box and thier linkable up to 4 sections recommend!
Which makes installing a breeze.
I dont use any fancy smancy grow light titled bulb you just pay more.

Check this out! https://a.co/6YBKFyi

5 Likes