Grow Lights

Almost my exact setup.

Things got a little out of hand, I have 10 of those setups and they are full of plants.

I found it to be a decent compromise on price, sturdiness and quality. Fits my needs well.

Mine are on casters which I will never regret.

2 Likes

We met at the meeting on Sunday. I was sitting next to you. But I understand it’s hard to put online profiles to faces, however.

I think you’ll find that none of us are going to agree all of the time, which is fine and understandable. I always welcome new ideas and expertise.

I’m not sure what you disagree with, as you didn’t specify. Starting seeds is very simple, and they do not require anything more than a make-shift green house (anything with a clear lid works) and window for the first couple of weeks. I’ve done this in my home several times. I simply mentioned this in case she wanted to get started prior to having this rig in place. Of course, a window is not a replacement for grow lights long term and won’t provide the necessary energy for good starts.

2 Likes

I think we are all on the same page with slight miscommunication. We are planning early which is great. I would love to see an indoor growing area (not just seed starting) hence my exitement over the lights and wanting good ones. Also the seedlings will grow better with good light.

I should have the light up today and Facilities said we could use the pink foam board and

3 Likes

I agree. We’re all going to do it differently, and frankly a lot of us arent going to have the time or means to follow every piece of advice we recieve. We can just do the best we can with the knowledge and experience we have. We should always appreciate any knowledge and advice given to us, but understand that we have every right to choose to do it differently, and who knows, we could find out that the different way DOES work better! That’s science afterall.

2 Likes

Sweet! Thanks for installing.

2 Likes

I’m trying to bring my light down this afternoon and prepare the area. Facilities said we could use the pink foam board and silver bubble wrap to make starting area. I have a plan but definitely do not want anyone to feel excluded. will get it mocked up and everyone can look and give suggestions.

Also i think starting now with onions and other early crops will get more people interested in the garden area.

4 Likes

I will be at the space tonight in textiles but I can always dip out to help if you need.

2 Likes

I will see you there!

2 Likes

Hey, what works for you.

This garden project appears to be one huge experiment, which is a learning opportunity.

2 Likes

Your seeds did not arrive today . I’m thinking Friday.

1 Like

Made some progress today.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Im ready to send my donation any time! Please let me know when I can do so

2 Likes

I’m strategically waiting for the dust to settle after we successfully voted in a budget for this year last night. It’s the first time since COVID hit that we’ve had a proper budget. Gary has been busy!

4 Likes

Jesse did a great job on the seedling incubator with the material at hand.

I’m speaking in Jesse’s place but, even though some of us have more experience , every season is a new beginning and a new learning experience .

This year is going to very tough because expectations are very high now.

Please consider everyone’s limitations and focus on the talents we all offer.

Goals should be strived for more than reaching, we learn more that way

3 Likes

Hi guys!
Got the seedling area top and front enclosed tonight. Everything is temporary, put together with clamps in case we need to change it. The front curtain rolls up and holds with a spring clamp.

Also I planted:
a flat of white and yellow spanish onions which should have about 1000 plants in it, lol.
2 flats of scallions
1 flat of celery

These are all to be shared with garden comittee and other members. I planted these because they are the earliest that need planted. By the time they are decent sized we can move them and plant the next round, whatever the comittee decides on. Hopefully we talk about that in the next meeting :wink:

7 Likes

Very nice setup.

Thanks for your efforts.

3 Likes

Jesse your a rockstar!

@BYoungers I purchased the lights you recommended for my personal use! I do have a question since I know nothing about the strength of these lights, nor about the different types of light appropriate for which plants. Would these be considered direct light?

1 Like

No not direct but it does make a difference how long you have them on and how close to the plants. Real close and real long could be considered direct

2 Likes