Great Plains Ren Fest

As shown was 12’ I think. I wouldn’t go under ten. We can make it to generously accomodate curtains too.
Edit: @rustin.atkeisson actually, I think 12’ is appropriate. A wider entrance with heavy curtains will be far more versatile.

Idea: cheap area rugs for curtains, could look pretty baroque

That sounds like a good plan - curtains and tarps are easier to store than walls.

It doesn’t look like waterproof outdoor curtains are all that expensive and they do come in plenty of colors if we went the reds or grey’s route. That might even be something easily made from that duck cloth Malissa keeps talking about.

1 Like

I figured rugs might apear robust enough to add an element of security as well

A rug might be robust, but it would be very heavy, probably prohibitively heavy, used as a curtain.

Can I suggest using actual curtains for this purpose, such as this?

4 Likes

Modern rugs are probably lighter than the curtains… and curtains probably start getting expensive at 9’ tall and 14’ wide. I’m not married to the idea, whatever looks best and is cheapest

My rugs are heavier than my curtains. Other considerations - can we source rugs 9’ long? I usu see 5x8 as the largest of the cheap options. How would we hang the rugs? How well will they retract back when open?

Seeing specific options of both types would probably be wise. Also knowing how the rods will be hung to support them and what weight they can take would be smart. The rods I have at home require a center support for a 6’ wide space.

1 Like

We’d definitely make custom rods.

Even thin area rugs don’t drape and fold like curtains.

Where is this going to be kept when not in use? How small will it break down to? Truly curious

2 Likes

The facade will be big. 1-1/4 thick panels ranging from2’x4’, 2’x8’ to odd shaped 4’x8’ and a variety of 2x framing members up to 16’ in length.

1 Like

I was jokingly going to say the lounge, but that might actually add to the ambiance for game nights and DND nights…

4 Likes

The wall behind the TV would be a good place. With the TV in the opening.

1 Like

Yeah, honestly it would take less useable space fully assembled

Bonus points for making all the tent parts fit in the towers, including the 2 popup tents. :wink:

2 Likes

Can we just raid Joann and see which fabric suits in appearance, weight, and price?

3 Likes

I have wholesale and clearance fabric sources galore. I can help find fabric I just need the size of the opening to estimate yardage and can make recommendations.

4 Likes

Actually come to think of it I have some curtains in my shed that might work. We brought them from Texas and never have used them they were given to me by one of the clients in the workroom. I don’t remember exactly what they look like. I will get in there tomorrow pull them out and take pictures. I do recall they were kinda heavy.

2 Likes

Awesome! Heavy is good for this imo. Was even thinking go weight the bottom.
Thanks all, I’m sure after reflection on your advice that rugs aren’t the way. Gotta be Baroque af tho!!!

3 Likes

Other progress updates:

1. Tent stake points are drawn out and the stakes are ready to be powder coated. They are sitting in the hot shop if someone beats me to painting them a bright ‘don’t trip on me’ color. That or I may have an impromptu class Saturday on how to powder coat if people are willing to help.

2. Checked out how the tent would fit in boxes for storage and transport (goal is to be able to fit the tent in a sedan for those wanting to do more off-site events in the future). Not sure if I like the lashing on the posts, but I’m definitely thinking we need a bag for the tent top.

2 Likes

A castle opening with curtains just begs for a stage show…

3 Likes

It would be cool if it’s storage location in say the lounge made it into a stage so it could be useful in storage instead of just taking up space.

They had a lot of curtains and shower curtains at ‘Wichita Home Outlet’ the last time I went by there and they usually have good prices on stuff. id love to compare prices on something like that with one of @Malissa ‘s sources, for my ceiling fabric liner idea.

@rustin.atkeisson what time on Saturday do you think you’ll be able to start working on this so I can be sure to be there?

1 Like