Erik D's Works in Progress

I was worried about the coral print to be honest. I just eyeballed that 45 degree angle on all the pieces. I’ve got tons of 3d models like this I’ve made over the years. I’ve got about 60 or 70 highly detailed fish I modeled and posed in all sorts of ways. Largemouth, catfish, marlin, sharks, mahi, I mean literally I’ve done some super obscure species. Some “aquarium fish” some “sport fish”. Just thinking of them I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if I’ve got 800 hand rendered models of all kinds of stuff.

1 Like

Here is one of the largemouths. This was uv mapped and painted, rendered then painted over. This was a test print. The final version had a fisherman in the background standing in a John boat.

4 Likes

Wish you could teach a class on how to make models from scratch like this

1 Like

Me too. Unfortunately is requires fairly beefy computers and drawing tablets.

1 Like

This was for a high profile client. This is big chicken money lol. (I’m talking with them now about doing another project. Super excited!). Anyway they wanted the viper eyes and teeth visible in the rear view mirror of the driver in front of them. It was a trick to make it work and I love the way it turned out! I have no idea what the company is that put their logo in the corner.

3 Likes

This was a bas relief i created and attempted to route on the shopbot. It was pretty big. I’ve still got the failed attempt in my garage. The shop bot z-axis drops by a hair with each z axis movement. The rough pass was very nice because it only had primarily x and y movement, but the finer detail pass (even though it was really nice looking) zig zags back and forth and has thousands of z axis movements. It ended up digging far too deep into the wood. This was my only attempt at 2.5D cnc routing.

Join for the shopbot, stay for the great people and cool atmosphere. And the tools. Lol

2 Likes

I’m never happy with my work. For every one I post that I’m not completely embarrassed by (omg I’ve got some that I just… geez… i dont even know what to say) there are 10 that I absolutely hate and will actively hide from people. I also go through phases. Hand painting, digital sculpting, wood carving, ink, whatever… currently im loving pencil drawings. Just loving the texture and forgiveness of a pencil. It allows me to pull back from details and see the full picture. Anyway here’s a zombie.

2 Likes

Stop being so critical on your stuff unless that is your thought process to greatness! I have NEVER seen anything you have posted that did not look absolutely amazing!

3 Likes

Thanks Frank. I think it actually is part of the process of improving, but I didn’t choose it.

I think the other part of the process of improvement is pushing through the resistance, constantly.

It’s kind of neat looking back though and realizing when I started trying this thing or that thing. The failures too tbh.

2 Likes

Eric,
I made stl for logo if you need when I made these

I’m sure you probably can do it in your sleep though lol!

2 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing!

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone have experience with Vimeo? I’ve been playing with it this morning trying to get the video to auto loop playback. I think I need to upgrade to get the playback controls.

This was a client’s inked drawing that I sculpted into a 3d figurine.

2 Likes

My fanart of the Marvel villain Carnage. I actually recorded the entire process to make this from scratch, which ended up being 7 hours and 10 minutes! Its about 5’ x 7.5’

8 Likes

Do you have a YouTube channel for showing these being drawn? I’d think it would be popular.

4 Likes

Awsome!

1 Like

I’m thinking about that. I did upload a video inking and coloring a couple of sharks for a client. But that was a few years ago and didn’t get many views. I put zero effort into sharing it. It’s not a cool video.

I think YouTube is pretty much just a video drop platform unless one uploads consistently and puts effort into sharing the link around. I think YouTube personalities get more attention from YouTube algorithms if they bring more people to YouTube from somewhere else on the web. (Not just views from people that are already on YouTube. If a person can do that I think the system starts recommending your video to similar people on the platform. If it does well there they continue to show within the next ring of potential interest. I bet visually, YouTube’s algorithm is a huge bed of venn diagrams. And if one can make videos that appeal well to their “core” and then it performs well on the next ring, then the next, then all of a sudden your getting shown higher in search, then recommended, then other interested groups get recommended who may have never search your genre, (in this case marvel fans?). That’s all just my opinion. I have no idea if any of that is true. But I bet it’s close. (Plus also obviously scoring system. The number of clicks, watch time, subscribers, etc)

1 Like

I’d absolutely agree with you, except in cases of exceptional talent, which you have. I’d encourage you to upload anytime you can. You might be surprised at the reception.

3 Likes

I think Jazza is pretty much making 100% of his money through videos and products he has branded.

Cool videos would be good. I hear it might take years to get a following though…

Jazza makes an estimated $38k a month without including sponsors.
https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCHu2KNu6TtJ0p4hpSW7Yv7Q

I like to change it up a lot. If i do too much 3d stuff then all I want to do is a 2d painting. Too much computer work then I want traditional media. Too much realistic then I want to do something stylized. Too much clean stuff then I want to do something rough and sketchy. I wonder if it would make a good channel to do all of that? Its fun to think about anyway!

1 Like