Erik D's Works in Progress

38k would be ok… heck 2k a month wouldn’t be too bad.

2 Likes

Heck, if I could make $2k off of selling stuff I make I would be a happy man. That would pay for a motorcycle & annual vacations. :slight_smile:

Most of what I’ve noticed about videos I like to watch, is all about camera placement. I like seeing what they’re doing, the actual motions they’re going through. Too far away & I can’t see details. Too close & I can’t see the overall picture. I’ve seen some good overhead shots, that zoom in for detail work. But like you said, you end up spending more time editing than you do creating the actual art.

That being said, I have almost ZERO artistic talent with my bare hands. Luckily, I’m able to CNC my way into some good looking stuff overall.

Who says you can’t? The trick is not taking for granted the work that pays the bills and affords the opportunity to do these side projects.

So I downloaded wondershare filmora pro for my video editing. I’m still on trial with it but I like that it’s got pricing options for a perpetual one time fee license. It’s also got monthly and yearly plans. I like the one time purchase with no take backs personally. And l pay extra for it. It also seems to be on par with other pro video editing software. I’m getting along with it ok so far. Its done what it’s supposed to without issues.

Glad it’s working for you!

As far as why I can’t make $2k a month, you’re right I can. I just need to start making stuff & then try to find some place to peddle my wares. Luckily plasma cut steel is still interesting to people. Fortunately, the mask market will be drying up here shortly, so that’s one less market I need to get into. :slight_smile:

Or film yourself making it! Lol.

2 Likes

LOL, trust me! Nobody wants to see me on YouTube! :slight_smile:

I think you might be surprised… I have a lot of real people makers in my feeds…

1 Like

Something I learned in a video marketing class. Just do it, everyone starts off bad. Now if I could just find the time and space to just do it.

everyone starts off bad.

This goes for any endeavor you try. Suckin’ at something is the first step to being kinda good at it.

Embrace the suck.

1 Like

For sure. I think a person needs to be a yes man (or woman) in order to discover their passion. Just say yes to doing new things. Succeed, fail, whatever. Find the skill tree that you want to max out and that you have a renewable drive to push through any resistance.

2 Likes

Fail is not in the vocabulary.

Do or do not, there is no try!

You must not do much 3D printing…

3 Likes

Are you new here?

Success= failure+little tweak<BFH!

Failed project = “Test article”
Successful project = “Project”

1 Like

Funny thing is I always fail. Lol. Not kidding. I already dont like the carnage image I just did. I’m used to it by now. I’ve already gone back and redone parts and refined everything on it. Call it a curse but I can honestly say that even though I love doing this stuff, the process anyway, I wouldn’t care if I never see any of my work ever again.

You only fail if you completely give up.
Plus working with kids, we don’t use that word.

“You only fail if you completely give up.”

This. Drawing carnage and seeing things you’d do differently, that’s part of being an artist, and a maker (engineers tend to do this too)

Point is that is part of natural growth.

In controlling the force doubt breeds fear. The dark side of the force. Yoda is trying to keep him from the dark side by teaching him to have absolute faith in the force.
Still an awesome quote totally applicable.

Define failure as giving up. Define "can’t " in terms of physics. Take lots of breaks.

I’ve gotten away from videos because they take so much time to edit, I’m a linux user so I was using openshot (I think that’s what its called https://www.openshot.org/) , and filming with a raspberry pi and an old webcam.

2 Likes

Funny story, I took a drafting class in high school. It was half engineering drawing and half architectural drafting. One day the teacher walks by and looks at my house in designing, which I’m almost done with. I’m pretty far ahead of everyone else. He says “I don’t like the traffic in front of the tv in the living room, you can’t get to the kitchen without walking in from of the TV no matter where you place the furniture.” I argued a little and then I said “well you don’t teach this class right.” In my defense it really was a very different approach he had to teaching that I hadn’t experienced before. He looked at me funny and said “hold that thought.” I was kinda nervous whet he walked off to the CAD students side of the room.

He eventually hollers over to me, said “Erik, go wait for me in my office”. Eventually he comes in and sits down and says “so I don’t teach my class right?” Asks how he does wrong, explains that hes been teaching this for 40 some years or something and wonders what I think I could improve on. We legit talked about it. The fact was he taught that class perfect. He designed that class. Even just listening to my dumb opinion was the right thing for that class. It took years for me to realize that. The truth was that I should’ve said “you teach this class different.” It was probably one of the most impactful interactions I ever had with a teacher.

The fact was he wanted me to improve my design. He probably wanted me to not lie to myself that I had made some perfect design. And sure as hell, there he was proving that he wasnt just pretending his class was perfect. He’d thought it all through and was open to feedback.

5 Likes