Customize MakeICT-Possible new special committee

I’ve been thinking about starting a special committee in charge of the aesthetic properties of the Makerspace in order to give our new building personality and have a greater visual advertisement of what we do here. We would be in charge of either designing and painting murals for the hallway or finding the right people to do so, developing the large sign by the road and making sure its permitted, making creative signage for the classroom and area doors, help create gallery displays for the areas and over all making our space inviting and fun. Anyone else have any interest in helping with something like this?

3 Likes

Absolutely, I’d be happy to be apart of this committee.

1 Like

I’d like to see several types of little free libraries outside one each for books, art supplies/maker kits, and non-perishable foods.

3 Likes

That sounds like a cool idea. It would be a fun way connect to the neighborhood.

2 Likes

Can an @IT person move this thread to the general section? Pretty please. Maybe then we would have more interest.

2 Likes

I checked and it is in general.

1 Like

I would love to put together some stained glass windows for the space

3 Likes

Count me in Anna what ever you need sounds fun.

1 Like

We need something cool to fill the holes in the hallways.
Signs have to be made by official sign companies in Wichita. We need to be careful of city rules on that.

I would be happy to help in anyway I can… but I do have a lot of bandwidth going elsewhere… so count me in at the occasional member level :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve read through the ordinance regarding signs and they do not have to be made by official sign companies, they just have to be permitted and follow a certain criteria.

2 Likes

Talk to David. We looked at making signs at the old place… and wound up hiring a company to make them. (He might be able to help with detail on how that went down.)

Wonder if its easier to get a permit for an art installation. Instead of a sign we just have a huge sculpture of the logo

1 Like

That’s what I want to see.

We should collaborate on something for sure.

Signs hanging over the sidewalk (at the previous location) did require a licensed sign hanger. It’s a safety concern. A sign, on posts, on our own property only requires common sense (and size restrictions), because if it comes loose it won’t land on people using a public right of way.

2 Likes

I’ve painted a mural before and it was a lot of fun, so I would be interested in painting something in the space. I would also be happy to do art for fliers or signs or anything like that.

Here’s a link to my website in case people want to get an idea of what my art looks like.
http://www.katherineconradmostlydrawings.xyz/index.html

2 Likes

There’s another thread about signage and Mutuals, with links to city code. I will add it here later.

1 Like

Now that we have a bit more interest, we can put together a special interest committee. We need at least 5 members so if you would like to be apart of the committee reply to this thread and give a good availability for a first time meet up.

Some murals on the walls would be awesome! Ever since the board decided to cover all the beautiful multi colored children’s hand art with white paint, our facility has looked like a 100 year old mental asylum. Some wall art would definitely liven up the place!

5 Likes