Clear space in front of electrical panels

There was lumber leaning on front of the electrical panel tonight. It is my understanding that an area 36" in front with a width of 30" should be kept free of obstructions. However I might be mistaken. Can somebody confirm this? Should we tape off the necessary area around each electrical panel as a reminder?

5 Likes

30" sounds right but not sure on the official code. I think tape on the floor is a good idea.

3 Likes

Would painting that line be a better solution?

3 Likes

Yeah, I noticed a similar issue in Ceramics but forgot to mention it. A marked keep-out zone would probably be good.

4 Likes

I figure tape is easier to apply so maybe more likely to get done. If somebody wants to paint the area I see no problem with that either

2 Likes

There’s also signs like these Yellow Electrical Panel 36" Clearance Sign - 6 Sizes (or if someone feels ambitious, could probably vinyl cut something similar)

2 Likes

Can we make a stencil for diagonal stripes that can be used to clearly mark zones like this with yellow painted stripes maybe?

3 Likes

Sounds like a perfect job for some of that cheap Masonite we get and one of the laser cutters!

1 Like

Code requires 3’ clear space in front of electrical panels and the same width as the panel (or 30"–whichever is wider).

3 Likes

Actually it depends on the Voltage: From NEC:

![2020_07_wagesfig4|666x500]
(upload://pRuVFxRrEKW2hI6vrmIJAkyS4jB.jpeg)

2 Likes

Nice graphics. That helps a lot. Do we have anything more than 120v to ground in the building? Even if the panel is 208 to 240 volts, that’s still 120 V to ground. Some commercial buildings have 480 volts power also. I just don’t know what the new building has available.

2 Likes

The boiler / seed starting room appears to have “no storage permitted” painted on the floor in front of its panels and a line for an exclusion area. So whatever gets decided for the wood shop might be good to do elsewhere.

3 Likes

That is the correct interpretation of Sedgwick County Code

2 Likes

I don’t know what happened to Steven Colbert’s glasses or where he got that snazzy jumpsuit, but keep him away from those electrical panels!

2 Likes