Bury 2020

A mask (or even several) would be very appropriate!

1 Like

I saved the post card from the white house early into the covid. It gives the steps for being safe. I thought it would be interesting in 100 years or so. Probably not all that great for a 10 year capsule.

1 Like

Weā€™d love to have it for a 100 year capsule, but youā€™ll have to do the opening on that one. I donā€™t plan to make 160.

1 Like

Id be 136. Somebody would probably get a kick out of that post card in the distant future.

I wonder what other random thing would be interesting in 100 years. It could be dumb stuff. I saw the dumbest nasal system cleaner the other day. Guarantee those will be rare and unavailable to any future culture with any sense at all. Lol

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the process of gathering materials for the time capsules. It seems that sealed PVC pipe is the best bet for simplicity and water resistance. If anyone has any scrap lengths of 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 inch PVC, with or without caps, weā€™d be grateful and happy to put them to use. Just let me know here and Iā€™ll make arrangements to pick them up. Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe some laser cut stuff
Laser engrave tube itself maybe

1 Like

We wonā€™t be able to engrave a PVC pipe with our lasers, since it is a form of vinyl that produces chlorine gas. But we can always engrave it with a Dremel tool, engrave it with a CNC mill, or attach something suitably engraved with epoxy.

If someone has something they want really, really well preserved, they can submit the item already encased in a ThermosĀ® or similar container. Older versions of the ThermosĀ® are made of glass, which is absolutely perfect for preservation, provided they arenā€™t exposed to high levels of mechanical shock. Putting such an item inside a well-sealed PVC pipe is one of the very best ways of ensuring the contents will survive. We can also figure out a good way to fill the PVC capsules with some argon gas from our welding bottles, or obtain some nitrogen to fill them.

1 Like

Donā€™t underestimate the power of ferric chloride. I watch a lot of restoration videos and the plates that come through time the best are the metal ones. You can take a piece of brass, print your design on a magazine page iron that thing on there and etch for a day or two and you can get a sharp deep etch.

I bet we could do awesome stuff with powder coat too.

My coffee gauge was at E and I read that as Aragorn gas and thought ā€œman I really need to get certification in the metal shopā€¦ā€

1 Like

I just happen to have a fresh quart bottle of ferric chloride on my desk. Made some boards a few days ago with the laser printer/glossy paper method. I suppose I could make some ID plates for time capsules out of some PCB stock I have here, but Iā€™m not sure how well theyā€™d survive underground, exposed. Anyone have any scrap brass sheet stock theyā€™re willing to donate?

1 Like

I have a roll of brass for candle making that was too thick to sew through. It might be too thin for this.

It would probably work, but itā€™s a simple matter to test it to find out for sure if you want to drop it off (or a sample of it) for me. Iā€™ll grab it and try a quick etch on it.

1 Like

I can leave it the next time Iā€™m there. Whereā€™s a good spot?

You can put it in Textilesā€¦pick a spot and let me know where it is.

1 Like

For sure.

1 Like

So weā€™re committed to being a part of Bury 2020, and will have at least one time capsule ready to seal up by then. Could each of our Area Leads provide something relevant to their area? I know Malissa has one or more cloth masks for Textiles, and James mentioned a few items that can be the ERP contribution. How about everyone else? What can you come up with?

Hereā€™s what we have promised so far:
Mask(s)
Covid 19 postcard from the White House
Newspaper
Wikipedia and WikiHow on a flash drive

Any more?

1 Like

Also: Wood Rings from Doug in Wood Shop

1 Like

So I just bought a 32G flash drive compressed wikipedia is about 14Gb. I thought some linux distros and maybe some open source hardware designs (like arduino and such) Iā€™m open to ideas for data to put in there.

1 Like

MakeICT photo album
Snapshot of our website as of now
Video of the grounds and surrounding area (it may change a lot over the years)

1 Like

Our current version of the door code lol

1 Like

Oooh, thatā€™s gonna leave a mark.

1 Like