Bury 2020

Nation of Makers is building a website to plan, locate, and direct anyone interested in building a time capsule. The website will be on-line before Makesgiving Wednesday November 25th. There are plans to have some informational zoom meets or YouTube videos on how to build a time capsule, how to record where its buried, and what 2020 items would be best to include. There may be a way to record to the site if you made a time capsule, the location of it and intended date of removal. Is this something we are interested in doing? If so who wants to lead this adventure?

2 Likes

We should do this to commemorate make ict snd and dig it up in 2030

1 Like

I was hoping for at least 25 years.

Sure why not I’m gonna live forever! …or die trying. Lol!

2 Likes

Ideas for contents:

1 Like

I don’t think I want to wait until a vaccine is developed.

We should put a bottle of corona in there definitely

1 Like

Lol a mask belongs in there for sure.

Don’t they usually put in a newspaper??

Flash drive with the current state of Wikipedia on it…

1 Like

@Frank or @james.a.seymour are one of you volunteering to take this on? I’ve got my hands full and so does @ladeana. I put it here for information purposes and I think it would be great idea.

I have a pair of full hands too :frowning:

We could bury several. One for 2030, one 25 years out, 50 years, and for those who are very optomistic, 100 years or more.

1 Like

I was going to bury a copy of wikipedia and wikihow just in case of zombie apocolypse anyway.

1 Like

I’m still bummed at the lack of participation at Halloween I’m gonna participate but not run it!

1 Like

@pwhutchi when’s the next newsletter? We need someone willing to lead a project.

Newsletter is on the agenda for the Board Meeting.

1 Like

Project Hatchet…

1 Like

I’d be willing to coordinate putting together one or more capsules if folks would like to bring things in. @jpalschauhan, would you be willing to set aside a spot that’s not in the way for people to bring in items for the time capsule?

For those who wish to bring something to contribute, let’s try to keep individuals’ contributions on the small side so we can have more contributors and more variety. Think 4 or 6 inch PVC pipe. It may not end up being exactly that, but let’s see what comes in.
Please put your item (handwritten note, flash drive, DVD, photograph, self-contained electronic video player with screen, or whatever) inside a Ziploc® bag with your name, a description of the item(s), and contact information so we can more easily keep track of what’s going in.

The capsule will be sized based on what has been contributed. We might end up with more than one capsule, and they might have staggered “open” dates, but we can let that also be driven by the contributions. Once it is buried, we can put a cement/concrete/metal marker on the surface to commemorate the occasion. I’d think that we’d eventually make something pretty substantial to discourage random vandals from just digging it up.

Please post your ideas here! Anyone else that want to help build it, post here and we’ll figure out when/how to get together to come up with a brilliant plan.

Sound like a plan?

2 Likes

I’m just going to put this here for safekeeping:

2 Likes

I’d like to see some actual items handmade at MakeICT to go in the capsule(s), as well. One comes to mind that would work nicely – @doug.wilson, would you be willing to donate one or more wooden rings for it? Anyone else have items they’d like to donate? Ideally, they would fit in a 4", 6", or 8" tube. If there are larger items, I’m going to try to have a short-term (5 or 10 year) container for those, so don’t avoid donating something if it is over 8 inches.

1 Like

I want to donate a mask I’ve made, but if you have other ideas for sewn items I’m not particularly.