Brad Nailer?

Do we have a brad nailer? Need to tack on a trim piece that needs to be able to be pulled off later.

1 Like

We did as of a few weeks ago. I couldn’t find it last time I was there and needed it though. Hopefully it’s just hiding really well.

1 Like

Anyone found it yet?

Brad nailers can be of great utility in a woodshop. There has never seemed, to me, to be much demand in our’s, however.
Should I put some priority on upping out fastner game?

2 Likes

I don’t use one on every project, but when they are handy, they are very handy.

1 Like

Seems like spending more of our member’s money on new equipment before investigating where all the missing equipment went would be a bad idea.

2 Likes

There used to be literally a stack of nailers/staplers on a shelf. If anyone knows what happened to them that would solve this problem.

They’ve been there for as long as I can remember but they seemed to have disappeared recently.

2 Likes

The problem is the lack of accountability. I appreciate the come-as-you-are openness of MakeICT but there’s no enforcement of cleaning up after yourself or putting things back.

5 Likes

perhaps now would the time to make it so you have to badge in to get into the woodshops.

1 Like

My recommendation would be to inventory the tools and mark each with permanent ink. We could get started with this soon and I’ve discussed this with facilities as well.

There’s an inventory committee that’s supposed to handle this. They’re scheduled to meet this Wednesday, although I’m not sure if they currently have any active members or not.

Putting tools in an inventory and marking them still won’t prevent theft. Any solution will require security and leadership to first acknowledge there is a theft issue.

1 Like

Permanent ink is not as permanent as people think.

1 Like

I see several shortcomings with this idea. First is the inconvenience especially when you have to do a lot of work going back and forth between the two shops. Second in my mind is the fact that none of the doors automatically close every time. Third and maybe this should be first is that we already can tell who’s coming and going from the space. There is nothing to stop a person from leaving the woodshop with a tool. And with multiple people going in and out throughout the day, there’s no way to say which of those people might have walked out with one.

2 Likes

Its sad to think people walk away with items in a shared space. Brad nailers are relatively cheap.

Couple additonal suggestions -

• Paint them in a very distinct color maybe fluorescent orange.
  • Engrave makeict logo.
  • Have cameras pointed to monitor people exciting.
    -Organize them in a way they can be seen by a camera. This would make it much eaiser to track down when they went missing.
2 Likes

I am all for more cameras. But there are those who don’t want big brother watching them. I say don’t join a space with camera then. Anyway, as far as organizing goes, have you seen the threads about people not putting stuff away or cleaning up their mess? :rofl:

4 Likes

Honestly for as against big brother as I am, if we have a theft problem, then I’m all for more cameras. If we can’t rely on our “be excellent” motto, then maybe it’s time for “trust, but verify.”

5 Likes

Wasn’t there a significant amount of money approved at the last board meeting for security upgrades?
What are those funds being spent on/what are the specific upgrades that security is doing? Is there maybe something already in the works to address this?

@Directors @Security

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 8, 2023, at 8:10 PM, Mandee E. via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| Emme MakeICT Member
October 9 |

• | - |

Honestly for as against big brother as I am, if we have a theft problem, then I’m all for more cameras. If we can’t rely on our “be excellent” motto, then maybe it’s time for “trust, but verify.”

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| whateg01
October 9 |

• | - |

I am all for more cameras. But there are those who don’t want big brother watching them. I say don’t join a space with camera then. Anyway, as far as organizing goes, have you seen the threads about people not putting stuff away or cleaning up their mess? :rofl:

Previous Replies

| whateg01
October 9 |

• | - |

| BrianD MakeICT Member
October 9 |

• | - |

Its sad to think people walk away with items in a shared space. Brad nailers are relatively cheap.

Couple additonal suggestions -

• Paint them in a very distinct color maybe fluorescent orange.
  • Engrave makeict logo.
  • Have cameras pointed to monitor people exciting.
    -Organize them in a way they can be seen by a camera. This would make it much eaiser to track down when they went missing.

| whateg01
October 8 |

• | - |

I see several shortcomings with this idea. First is the inconvenience especially when you have to do a lot of work going back and forth between the two shops. Second in my mind is the fact that none of the doors automatically close every time. Third and maybe this should be first is that we already can tell who’s coming and going from the space. There is nothing to stop a person from leaving the woodshop with a tool. And with multiple people going in and out throughout the day, there’s no way to say which of those people might have walked out with one.

| whateg01
October 8 |

• | - |

Permanent ink is not as permanent as people think.

| gemma MakeICT Member
October 8 |

• | - |

There’s an inventory committee that’s supposed to handle this. They’re scheduled to meet this Wednesday, although I’m not sure if they currently have any active members or not.

Putting tools in an inventory and marking them still won’t prevent theft. Any solution will require security and leadership to first acknowledge there is a theft issue.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

maybe limit the tools that are out? keep duplicates locked away, so if it comes up missing we have a spare? or increase the woodshop budget to cover tool shrinkage?
i think better organization might help with things as i believe people have a tendency to put things away whatever. everything has a home and an address.

Until there is an actual inventory of items, serial numbers, etc., there is no telling how much theft there is. I recommend we take the first steps before we try to completely solve the intractable human-history long problem of theft.

2 Likes

Until the upgrades are in place I’m refraining from speaking any more about them. Members that what to get more details on security in general can attend the scheduled security meetings at the space or one of the (probably many) work days security will be having in the coming weeks/months.

2 Likes

I’ve made this suggestion in the past and got a lot of pushback and “this won’t work” feedback but I’ll say it again.

Have a centrally-located tool crib with badge-controlled access and at least one camera overhead. There can be a sign-out sheet that indicates who borrowed what and for which area. If an item comes up missing, review the video feed and narrow down the culprit.
Repeat offenders could have their access revoked or at least be put on notice about their behavior.
The laser cutters in the Fab Lab are badge-controlled so having a tool crib/cage with limited access shouldn’t be that hard. Members already need wood- or metalshop authorization to use the shops so tool crib access could be tied into the badge system the same way.

And if people are wary about “being watched” all the time…welcome to the modern world. There are cameras literally everywhere already. A few more shouldn’t be such a big deal if it keeps people from stealing tools.

3 Likes