Book Arts Committee proposal

No reason we can’t build those. Might be fun!

1 Like

Let me just interject here. If anyone needs to practice, count me in. By that, I mean practice giving gifts. I’m an excellent recipient of unmerited fortune.

2 Likes

I’ve seen people make the embossing plates out of brass on a CNC. Could definitely do that at MakeICT. A binder shared this example in a Facebook group today.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That thing looks ancient. We can probably do much better.

1 Like

That HP DesignJet 230 model was introduced in 1995. Really slow, parts expensive and fragile (especially belts). Monochrome ink in cartridges that are expensive and not that easy to find.

I would definitely pass on accepting one that was donated, let alone buying one.

Mike

1 Like

David
When are you planning to have the press running (April/May)? I assume it will require authorization due to many pinch/crush/ect… hazards. There are several other machines around the space that need badge reader.

I thought from what I watched/read it has a single motor. What size motor is on the press? Does it have an electrical badge/plate with ratings?

Please send any details and we will add it to the todo list.

1 Like

We’re probably looking at late spring on the press, and it will definitely require a class before authorization. It has a single phase, 220/240v, 1.5 hp motor. There is no other electrical anywhere on the press…just the motor. There’s likely a badge or plate on the motor itself. If you’d like to take a look, it is in the maintenance shop at Booth, sitting on a wheeled pallet. We’re still working on finding the best place for the press to live, but as long as we leave clearance around it, the only requirements are power, plenty of light, and a minimum of dust.

At 115V 1.5 HP requires a 20 amp circuit. at 208 -220-240V single phase roughly half that. So a 20 amp circuit should be adequate. We can find that power for any room in the facility, either from the panels in the Boiler room or from the new Panel E in the Room 11 (Metal Shop). The wiring can be run when the final location is determined,

Should be about 5A @220 under full load, I shouldn’t think we would be close to a full load are we? That’s single phase motor rule if thumbish. It’s not like some weird dynamo squirrel cage synchronized thing.

Is it easier to replace the motor with a 1/2 hp 115 motor? Might even have one in the ERP that would work.

The capacity is not a concern, we have what we need for it. There is capacity for new spaces that have requirements like that. The issue is more of removing breaker spaces in the boiler room that are still wired to missing equipment, air compressor in boiler room, obsolete equipment old 110v Fire pulls. Eymtc

Since the power requirements aren’t particularly great, we can decide where it goes and whether to swap the motor out at a later time. For now, let’s just keep potential places for the press to live in mind as we move forward. Fortunately, as long as it is relatively clean, the press can go anywhere it will fit. It doesn’t generate much in the way of fumes, and the only noise is the motor hum and the (admittedly somewhat noisy) hiss of the air running in and out of the big piston.

We’ll probably throw a tarp over the press and just leave it in the maintenance shop until after the move-in has been completed. In order to get into any other room in the building, We’ll need to take it apart. It will end up in three roughly 1,000 lb. pieces that will then go through any of our doors on a furniture dolly, one of our big carts, or our pallet jack. We could conceivably even locate it in the boiler room, although moving it down there wouldn’t be my first choice.

I failed to get a meeting scheduled. Want to try again? I came across this on FB marketplace ad say $1000

Can we raise another $600 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/508143826784849/

Neat

I’d ask @dom (note the typeface label):

2 Likes

When this all calms down, yes, let’s try again!

1 Like

“when this all calms down” What wishful thinking that was!

2 Likes

Well, we at least have the Heidelberg press, along with a nice proof press!

1 Like