Book Arts Committee proposal

Okay. If $125 is the last bit we need put me down.

1 Like

Woo-hoo. I already volunteered to pick it up, but it happens to be in Rowlett, TX, the exact town I lived in for 5 years. What are the odds?

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that we have most of what we need to make flexo (photopolymer) plates for the letterpress, as well. Here’s a very short YouTube video about them.

1 Like

This is all moving along faster than I anticipated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, kids. We bought ourselves a $4000 printing press for $600, and didn’t spend any MakeICT money to do it! Excellent!

6 Likes

Let me know when/how you’d like me to get you the money.

1 Like

Just put in the the payments box, and mark the envelope “Printing Press”. The payments box is the blue box to the right of the 3D printers.

1 Like

I picked some Thursday Friday and Sunday dates in January to start the conversation.

• Jan 2 Thursday
  • Jan 3 Friday
  • Jan 5 Sunday
  • Jan 19 Sunday
  • Jan 23 Thursday
  • Jan 24 Friday
  • Jan 26 Sunday

0 voters

I put it in the box last night.

1 Like

One of my favorite YouTubers is Jimmy DiResta. He just did a YouTube video on bookbinding, which was pretty cool. Nothing there that we couldn’t do at the makerspace, for sure.
BookBinding

1 Like

We got it, thank you!

1 Like

For those of you who just can’t wait to learn to run the Heidelberg, here’s a link :link: to the user manual :open_book: (downloadable PDF file, about 10 MB). Feel free to get a head start!

1 Like

We need to make sure we have a drip pan under the machine as the manual says oil will eventually drip and ruin the concrete… or so the book says :wink:

Yeah, that’s standard procedure when setting it up. There will be oil. Not a lot, but enough to stain the floor, make it hard to sweep, or slip on. If only there were a place where we could make things out of metal… :thinking:

+1 for reading it.

This guy makes a lot of mistakes in his video, from how he folds papers, to sewing, to finishing. I wouldn’t recommend following what he does.

YouTuber Sea Lemon has some great tutorials for simple binding and getting started: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F704E01F80BA1E9

1 Like

He does break a lot of rules. Most of what he does is use whatever is at hand. If it isn’t on his bench, he’s not likely to use it. But I agree, there are better ways to do much of what is there.

I’ve found a lot of good examples of sewing jigs online you think a workshop would be cool? Anyone built one? I can’t imagine having a shared sewing jig, its pretty time consuming isn’t it?

1 Like

It can take several hours, but not usually a multi-day thing.

I’ve never found the need to use one but maybe because I don’t use a stitch that requires it?

What I want/need is the press at 3:17 and 10:27 …

…but I’d love to do the leather embossing too!

2 Likes