Bike Repair Help

Another thing I could use pointers on is my bike. The tires are oven low or flat, so I’m curious about solid rubber tubes, or whatever other suggestions y’all might have. I also have some rust popping up and want to find the best way to remove and prevent it.
Baskets would be nice too.

1 Like

I also have bike to repair its a tandem need tire repair and the push brakes wont work. Would like to have at new building for people to take rides get inspired and use for parades for the promoting of new building. Maybe use as fundraising and a member give rides for a funds.

2 Likes

Is anyone good with working on bikes?

1 Like

There used to be a bike maintenance stand/area in the metal shop. I don’t know if it still exits.

Is there someone in particular who works with bikes or used to work in that area?

I know a thing or two about working on bicycles, and I know we have a few other members who do as well.

I wouldn’t recommend solid tubes, they are heavy and make your bike ride much more bumpy. If your tires and tubes are in good shape they should hold air for quite a long time. If you are having problems with punctures through the tire they may need to be replaced. You can also get tough strips that go in the tire to help prevent punctures.

That depends on what area of the bike is rusty.

I would be interested in helping you get that fixed up. I’ve always wanted to try riding a tandem bike. :slightly_smiling_face:

The bike tools and repair stand are all still there.

3 Likes

Is there a good time for you or should I just bring it in? I’m available everyday except thurs. You can ride it any time you like it will be real fun at the new place lots of space. Thank you

2 Likes

I am traveling most of October but if you still need help in November I will be glad to help. Along with another member I teach bike repair and maintenance to youth and young adults every week.

I use heavy duty or thorn resistant tubes and rarely have flats. All the local bike shops stock them and their prices are about the same as online.

You need to sand, prime, and paint rusty areas, or if you really love the bike, take it to lorac and have it powder coated. Everything - cranks, etc., have to be off first.

3 Likes

@Christian, could we meet up sometime? Will you be there tonight? I saw on the calendar there’s some sort of bring a project type get-together with a couple of guys, Jim and Steve .

2 Likes

How about a bike repair/maintenance class?

3 Likes

If there is space at the new building I’ll be glad to teach a bike class. If anyone still needs help now let me know.

2 Likes

I would still like to get tandem bike going. Was thinking of bringing it in so I can find what exactly I will need to repair. Is there a good date?

2 Likes

I’m flexible the next couple of weeks. I could meet you at MakeICT tomorrow morning, Sunday mid-afternoon, or most of the day or evening Monday. Do any of those work?

Sunday mid afternoon will work for me. Say 1:30 if that will for you.

It may be more like 2:30 or 3; will that still work?

1 Like

Oh yes thats fine thank you so much I’m getting excited!!

1 Like

Me too. Let’s say 3 just to be safe. I’ll send my cell number.

I found help for replacing my bike inner tubes. No more flats :slight_smile:

I would be interested in a bike maintenance class and/or road safety class that discusses both the rules of the road and helps students ensure that their bikes have the required lights, etc to be street legal.

4 Likes

@Terrasel if there’s sufficient interest and scheduling works out I’d be willing to run some bicycle maintenance/safety classes, especially if @WardJewell wants to assist!

5 Likes

How does one gauge interest in a potential class, aside from just picking a date and waiting to see who shows up?

1 Like