Barn owl nesting box

Been wanting to make one of these barn owl nest boxes for a few years, finally did yesterday. It’s made of scrap plywood, will paint it white.

9 Likes

Cool!!!

@Jesse have you built a kestrel nest box, or do you have a place to install one? Our state falconry club tries to build several each year and then we monitor any boxes we place (removing invasive species and making sure they don’t flood, cleaning them out at wnd of season etc).

I was considering hosting a build at MakeICT and/or involving Amelia Earhart elementary (they’ve had me out before with my kestrel after the kids read My Side of the Mountain).

I would love to build one! I think I’ve seen a kestrel in my yard or it was a merlin. I live about a mile from MakeICT. Maybe we could put one at MakeICT or at Cessna park across the street.

2 Likes

If you have a good plan for kestrel box send it to me, i will make multiple if wood is available

2 Likes

The website below contains a link to the recommended kestrel box plans, as well as instructions for installing and monitoring them, from one of the most reliable sources available. I know our club makes the from 1" thick cedar.

https://kestrel.peregrinefund.org/nest-monitoring

1 Like

Thanks. I will check out the plans and hopefully build a couple.

We have a cabin by Fall River and in 2018 we had barn owls nesting in the attic and I put a camera up there and got lots of pictures. They disappeared for a few years but I saw a barn owl out there a few weeks ago so that inspired me to build them a nest box. I want to build a few more we will see…

1 Like

I bought some inch thick western red cedar for a project a few years back, and have some that never got used. I’m guessing enough for several boxes. I’d be willing to donate that for such a project.

3 Likes

@David thank you!!! That would be FABULOUS!!!

2 Likes

I’ve been reading about Birdfest they’ve been popping up all over the country. They tend to be about native birds, involved bird sculpture, bird costumes, and birding activities. The thought is to get awareness up about native birds to help preserve their habitat and help integrate them in urban areas.

2 Likes

I will do the work if you get me the wood! I will be in and out of MakeICT today if that works or Sunday I have ShopBot class and will be there in the evening.

Also maybe there is a tree very near MakeICT to mount a box. Will read instructions and see if there is a suitable public tree nearby

Nice design! A great use of scrap plywood!!

1 Like

David, here is how much wood it takes for one box

I’ll bring what I have down to the space either tomorrow or Sunday.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks!

I took some cedar down to the space; just dropped it off about 30 minutes ago.

1 Like

@Jesse if you can please save some for a project with the school for me. Thanks!

1 Like

There’s not a huge amount, but I might be able to find some more at some point. It’s on a shelf, behind a tool box, behind a press.

2 Likes

Ok i will check it out today thanks David