Air Cleaner Working Group

@hippyman @rustin.atkeisson @squarenuts and anyone else who has participated in conversation here on the forum or out in the hallways about researching the possibility of building high-quality / HEPA air cleaners for woodshop, metalshop, and ceramics I’d like to get together and find a time to have a couple brainstorming sessions at the space to get this project rolling. Who’s with me!?

4 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

Sure maybe if I plan out a time it will force me to actually get out there. I may go out tonight since I fell asleep earlier but not sure yet.

1 Like

This isn’t some ploy to build an air cleaner with an integrated margarita machine, is it?

5 Likes

I mean, I think the air feels cleaner in the presence of a nice marg.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not disagreeing. Just confirming.

2 Likes

Filters are the high dollar items here.
A HEPA filter appropriate for our uses might run $180.
Pre-filters could greatly extend the life of the real deal HEPA filter.
Pre-filters will need to be of high quality in order to provide protection to the main filter.
Pre-filters would also benefit from their own pre-filters.
Stacking filters increases airflow resistance.
The best way to combat resistance is to increase filter area.

A decent option that wouldn’t overly restrict airflow and extended the lifespan of the most important and expensive HEPA filters might include two HEPA filters ($360) four Merv 13 filters ($115) and two to four standard household filters ($5-$20). So that’s $500 in filters before the Margarita Machine is even considered.

I think it’s worth it. A big consideration of mine in wanting these is to not kill air conditioners, I don’t want to kill HEPA filters too quick either, or squirrel cage fans. I do know that I like to over engineer however and am open to making cleaners with less filter media if that’s what we decide on. Bottom line is we need air cleaners.

A possibility we should explore is looking for a filter supplier/manufacturer who would give us a break or even make donations.

The plywood for the enclosures and the squirrel cages ought to be easy to source for free, so I’m not even considering them presently.

3 Likes

I support whatever it takes to get that margarita machine.

6 Likes

I also support a magarita machine. Oh, and an aircleaner would be cool too.

4 Likes

Of course, if the margarita machine is doing its job properly, you won’t notice the dust. Or if you do, you won’t care.

3 Likes

In the wood and metal shops they’re gonna have to be nonalcoholic margaritas. Sorry folks.

3 Likes

No worries. Woodworking first, then margaritas. Problem solved.

3 Likes

HEPA level filtering can be accomplished pushing air through water. Or through margaritas.

6 Likes

That brings it’s own set of issues… dusty margaritas

2 Likes

Dusty Margaritas… great band name

5 Likes

Sawdust on the rim instead of salt for the hardcore wood workers.

3 Likes

has anyone looked into single room stand alone hepa filtration systems? They seem to be a lot cheaper.

As for the margarita side of things, perhaps a small cement mixer would work, you could watch it spin and be mesmerized by a few limes boucing around inside.

2 Likes

If it’s thr stand alone filters I think you’re talking about, they don’t move near enough air to be effective

I was trying to ignore all the margarita talk and wait for some general design plans to help contribute toward. But this was pretty funny right here.

3 Likes

Serious reply:
If you know any HVAC workers, ask them for working squirrel cage fans out of furnaces and air handlers, they throw them away all the time.

Plywood for constructing the boxes is not an issue.

I’ll talk about filters with finance, they know that this is a need for Woods, Metals, and Ceramics and that it affects the rest of the space as well.

I want to have the filters on hand before construction. For one, nominal dimensions are not reliable 24x24 filters suffer from misleading dimensions much like a 2x4. And second, we just don’t have the space to deal with six or more large plywood boxes while we wait.