A designated place to Sell our items

All I know is we definitely need $26,000 for doors and HVAC (you all were at the same meeting) so if there’s anything else big I can sell, say the word! I was happy that those big keeper statues last year went for their full asking price once the public knew about them.

I thought when you said “existing” you meant shelves already at booth.

1 Like

Sounds very doable. Good save.

Doug

Fire code issues notwithstanding, I really think and would love to see us build a shelf / display case to hang on the wall in the hallway outside each area. Nothing to big or elaborate, but a place where the area leads can keep a few awesome examples of the things that you can make in those areas out on display. Maybe a section could have a glass door in it that could be locked. Maybe even, pie in the sky, there could be some LED lights inside to really make them pop. This could be a little gallery for each area, stuff inside, stuff above, with a featured maker. It would really shine on Maker Mondays and when giving tours to the building. Maybe we can repurpose the lumber from these old shelves from under the windows in the rooms for this idea, as well as other display case needs throughout the building?

8 Likes

Patrick, I like the way you think.

2 Likes

We might look at places where we already have holes in the hallways (like the nooks or the places that we have to remove the iron fences and there seem to be some random wooden panels in the hallways that I wonder why are there…)
It would be good to have display cases that clutter cannot collect on in the hallways.

4 Likes

Yes, I think that would be awesome.

4 Likes

Cool signs outside each area would be awesome too!

Not exactly this sign, but this type of sign… I wonder if this is doable?

download

6 Likes

Cool signs made by that area. So the woodshop has a wood sign textiles has a textile one, electronics has an electronic one. Jewelry has a jeweled one.

Thank goodness we don’t have taxidermy

4 Likes

Ya. But I mean it doesn’t have to be entirely made in that area. It would be helpful if hung away from the wall like this. So you can see it from down the hall.

3 Likes

oooo…I can’t wait to see some of your prints, I have a friend who does Art Prints, some of her work is AMAZING. I hope to have some of my drawings and prints up too. I can hardly wait for the new place to start taking shape once we get the Garage Sale going and all that stuff out of the way. We have some Wonderfully creative people at makeict. We “NEED” some type of platform to sell our stuff and get the Public’s interest. I agree with David’s earlier statement,about “Showing our Possibilities”. A lot of people need to “SEE” examples of what we do because it inspires people to want to learn. I’m always having people stopping to talk or come looking for me because they see my stuff on display.

2 Likes

Kim, here is an idea about HVAC materials: what about approaching a local company who can donate the item. From my understqanding the donor writes up the (fair market rate amount for his tax records. I’m thinking since it’s the end of the year maybe some local company will donate materials that they can write off on their taxes. Tax season is just around the corner after all,so some local company just might need a little creative tax deductions to balance his budget. Labor is not a tax write off but materials sure are and some times it’s a lot easier to get Product Donations than Cash Donations.

2 Likes

@michelle funny you should say that. Im working on a personal piece right now that would fit your under water stuff pretty well. Not ready to show it yet though and I’m honestly getting a little confused with the details right now. It’s a pirate skull with barnacles growing on it, who’s face is octopus tentacles (sort of like pirates of the Caribbean), and 2 pirate ships fighting on the sea below and the tentacles wrapping all through the ships.

:thinking:…yep.

3 Likes

The HVAC idea is before the Fundraising Committee. Anyone wishing to help, should contact them to coordinate.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to put a date on the calendar to begin discussion and committee formation in the real world.

2 Likes

AWESOME!!! Count me in!!!

1 Like

I’m on the fundraising committee, it was one of my ideas I came up with in our meeting. I was mentioning it to Kim since she was talking cost and materials. I thought: since Kim is good with people and has mad skills communicating our ideas to others that I would throw it out there and maybe she could expand on it or maybe had some insight on where or who we could start with.

2 Likes

I picked some Thursday Friday and Sunday dates in January to start the conversation.

• Jan 2
  • Jan 3
  • Jan 5
  • Jan 19
  • Jan 23
  • Jan 24
  • Jan 26

0 voters

I’d like to see a MakeICT e-commerce web site. The maker could give a cut to MakeICT and a cut to the e-commerce site maintainer. The site should be able to accept credit card payments and calculate shipping costs. The e-commerce maintainer person would also pull the item from inventory and ship to the purchaser. Just Brainstorming…

2 Likes

it’s a good idea for sure, there are quite a few problems to solve to implement. I don’t think we can go that route but I can’t remember why. I think it’s a platform / security / volunteer. thing

1 Like

Weekends are not that great for me right now, I can do any day as long as it is in the evenings after 5pm.

1 Like