A designated place to Sell our items

I would really love to create a place at the new building where the public can come in during certain times and buy stuff that we have made. There is no reason why we shouldn’t become the “GO TO” place for one of a kind hand crafted items. I was thinking like a co-op type of operation where people have to put in so many hours in if they want their stuff in the shop; or people who want to sell their stuff but don’t want to volunteer can have a bigger percentage taken out of their sale. Example and this is JUST an example people who volunteer their time get like a 90/10% option where as people who don’t do volunteer hours get like a 70/30% option. This way money is being generated for Makeict as well. I would need some help on working out the kinks but there are people who really want to sell their stuff and I think we have a great opportunity to do just that in the new building.

10 Likes

Check out Parts and Labor I use to sell there in Austin. https://partsandlabourstore.myshopify.com/

My only concern is visibility for people who are from out of town and getting consistent hours from volunteers.

2 Likes

Yeah, getting volunteers to be consistent with their hours is a big one. As far as viability for people from out of town goes, well we don’t have much in the way of visibility for people from out of town now do we? Maybe we can get something going with the Visitors Center or Interesting things to do in Wichita. I know other cities have like a list of events. I am willing to put a lot of time into this adventure as long as I can get a few people to help. I’ll ask around and see who would be willing to commit some hours. LOL maybe I’ll form one of those new Committees David is talking about.

2 Likes

This is a neat idea! I’m excited to see if it picks up traction in our community. We already plan to have unused rooms for expansion of things enough people want at the new space, too!

1 Like

Some type of system must be set up to check items, in and out. Some type of security around them. A locked room is not enough. The items must be available for viewing and yet secure. Locked display cabinets along one side of a hall should be considered. If items are going to be sent to a Visitor Center, the paperwork must be planned and enforced. Volunteer must be trained in how it works and how to check items in and out. They should be able to tell a member where their item is. We need to know how long an item has been displayed and follow some type of rotation so the displays don not become stale.

2 Likes

I’m thinking more like a “SHOP” . Where there are certain hours open to the public, like a room by the main entrance or something. As far as the Visitors center I was thinking more like a pamphlet with examples of what we have and an brief summary of how we are local Artist and Craftsmen. Since you mentioned Locked Display cabinet, I would assume that would be near the front entrance where the Original Office was. If that room has not been claimed that would be an AWESOME room for a Shop that’s open to the public. It would be easy access from the parking lot and the front entrance. If not any room that has an outside entrance will work. I agree some stuff would need to be in more of a display case like jewelry and stuff but other stuff that is large can be displayed in the open. I’ve worked in retail and in Customer Service my entire Adult life. I know how to do inventory and keep records. We can set up a computer where we enter the item, name of Artist, the asking price, the date the item was brought in, when it was sold and a picture of the item so we know EXACTLY what we have. Also we can put up a FB page and use other social media as a form to advertise what our inventory is, whats on sale, what is new and so on. I don’t see why we can’t make our place the Go to place for hand made items. Hand made, hand crafted, made local, made in the USA are all very very popular buzz phrases right now and with more and more stuff being mass produced and of lower quality, I really think we could create a nice nitch

1 Like

Here’s a potential web platform for doing that… but online.

Share tribe

It’s an online marketplace platform. It’s kind of a business endeavor, but the idea could be to open it up to everyone. Individuals make their own “storefront” while the owner of the site sets commissions and provides the shopping cart and whatever else. It’s also obviously used for sharing also. Pretty cool really.

2 Likes

I know City Arts has a lot of problems with theft in their shop. So it would be important to decide how to deal with that up front.

3 Likes

I agree, we would have to figure out a way where we could keep theft down to a minimum. We have those display cabinets up front, not sure what they will be used for in the new building, or if they already have a purpose. We would have to do something like small easy to pocket items in cases. I was thinking big and heavy items that can’t be pocketed or slip into a purse can be displayed, LMAO…wouldn’t it be great if we could install an exploding stink-glitter-dye-pack to explode as the thief walk out the door. Anyhoo…We would definitely need to brainstorm and come up with an effective yet simple system. I would love to hear from some of the other members too about a gift shop filled with things we make. If not a gift shop then maybe some sort of regular weekly event like a Flea Market/2nd Saturday type of thing where we sell outdoor booth space so locals as well as members can have a chance to sell their stuff. This way we can generate income for Makeict through the selling of booth spaces. Create an event that draws the people from the neighborhood in. There is so much talent and cool stuff being made by our members that I want to share with all of Wichita…lol

1 Like

Narrowing it down, time-wise, to a recurring event may also make it easier to staff. Not only are you limiting the number of shifts/slots to fill, you’d also be establishing a predictable schedule, making it easy for volunteers to plan for.

On the other hand, it seems that any time set, recurring schedules are involved, someone willing to help is inevitably going to be consistently unavailable for the needed times due to their own work or personal schedules.

Maker Mondays and Final Fridays (or is it First Fridays now??) could be good recurring dates to start with.

3 Likes

It’s all about brain storming, bouncing ideas around and figuring out what works and what would be the EASIEST for everyone. I would like to keep things as uncomplicated as possible.

1 Like

Ok I marked my Calendar for the 10th of October 6pm

The theft control is why I suggested hallways. Lockable cabinets or display cases on one side. (We have to keep fire codes in mind) The entry by the office has some glass fronted cabinets (school trophies etc) that could also be used. The App Eric points to would be of interest. Primarily, we need a check in system for each item displayed at MakeICT. The item doesn’t leave with anyone but the maker without payment. Items could be visible 24/7 but only unlocked at set times. Perhaps a volunteer at a welcome desk to check guests in and out and others to assist with sales and opening cabinets etc.

1 Like

YES, theft would be a major concern and I knew that was your meaning. Of course we would need a check in system of items, that wouldn’t be very hard at all to come up with, also a picture to go along with the entry so everyone involved would know exactly what the item was and what it looked like. Naturally the person who brought their property in would be the ONLY person to take it unless it was purchased, that is just a basic common sense issue. I also think there needs to be a page set up where people can see the itemized list of available items for sale along with the items that have been purchased and when they were sold etc.etc. I feel this way any one who wants to see what is going on has the ability to look it up. If the process is transparent then I believe more people will feel at ease knowing all they have to do is go to the designated page and see for them selves. I was thinking WEEKEND hours, something like Fri. Sat. Sun or just Sat. and Sunday from 10am to 5pm. Weekends tend to be the time people want to get out and do stuff.

1 Like

Yes! Keep in mind, that I have attended two Maker Mondays and to bring things I have made. No one has explained how to check things in or out and there are no signs or forms that I could find. That would be a good place to prototype the system.

I was also thinking making the list Alphabetized so it will be a lot easier to look up. Example if your last name started with a G you know about where to start looking for that Artists items or if you are the Artist then you know about where to start looking for your items, instead of a number itemization system. I’m all about keeping it simple and transparent to all members.

There probably should be some sort of agreement as to the responsibility when something gets lost, stolen or broken. (Probably should be the creator and/or perpetrator and explicitly not the Makerspace)

We should probably outline what the Makerspace needs to do in the case that one of these happens. (Review the film, talk to members etc)

It is always better if these sorts of things are known up front.

4 Likes

I love that idea! I’d be willing to help create the space and co-oping is a great idea.

1 Like

I would love your help and input. I’m going to need several like minded people if we are going to get this idea off the ground and running. Thank you for your interest Ann

2 Likes

With the new committee standing rule in place maybe it’s time for an interest group to form to look at the potential of making this a reality?

2 Likes